trying to remove locking lugs

w/o the key. I just bought the car and unfortuantely i nor the seller know the name brand of the locking lug nuts. Ive tried a few things and called around to see if I could find a tool to break them loose. I dont want to ruin the wheels that are on their and It has no motor currently so I cant drive it to a tire shop to get it fixed.

any suggestions? anyone else ever break them off w/o the locking key?

pic of lugs

x2

there are other options out there, but the best would be to figure out what type of lug nut it is, then to order that key. no point in breaking them. cuz there are tools to remove them… but then they usually aren’t useable afterwards.

are they male or female lugs? if female put a 4 way with a crowbar end in it step on it and twist, if male find another how ever many spline key from new set of lugs and try it

there are tool they sell for getting those off. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=68761&group_ID=1652&store=canada&dir=catalog

sort of like this idea, just pick up one of these removal tools.

yes there are tools to remove wheel locks… unfortunately u will most likely destroy the lock. if he doesn’t have the key… why spend money to buy a tool to remove the wheel locking lugs? and then have to buy lugs after? when he can just buy the key for the lugs?

or but a kit see if the key fits if so take them off, return the lugs with the key that worked and contact the manufacturer of them, but i bet youll pay almost what a new set will cost just for the key, either way it wil work. if the are female lugs do the crowbar thing and get new ones

well the difference is whether they are wheel locks, or aftermarket tuner lugs like muteki’s or something. if they were just wheel locks like the mcguard or macguard or whatever the oem ones are, then yea using the tool would be more convenient. but then there is always the option of going to the honda/acura dealer and buying that key, or having them remove it so u can replace it with just a regular lug nut.

but if these are tuner lugs, like muteki’s… breaking off 16 of them would be a PITA, cuz the keys are pretty cheap, can be found at most aftermarket shops or can be ordered, and they are a bit more theft “deterrant” that some local street punk shouldn’t be able to get.

GEN2GSR: post some pics.

ok to clarify. They’re are only 2 locking lugs. One on each of the back wheels. I dont care about the locking lugs personally. As im going to sell the wheels once off and replace w/ some stock wheels. I have an idea im going to try.

will post pics tonight if my idea doesnt work.

Thanks for the idea’s

[QUOTE=GEN2GSR;2042842]ok to clarify. They’re are only 2 locking lugs. One on each of the back wheels. I dont care about the locking lugs personally. As im going to sell the wheels once off and replace w/ some stock wheels. I have an idea im going to try.

will post pics tonight if my idea doesnt work.

Thanks for the idea’s[/QUOTE]

thinks of what ur idea could possibly be could channel locks or vise grips in ur idea?

I wanted to but I was afraid they may slip under pressure and scratch the wheels. so I got a few over sized sockets and laced the insides with a hardening compound, hammered them on. let em set for an hour then used a breaker bar but to no avail:(

so here are pics. any ideas as to the brand?

[QUOTE=GEN2GSR;2043517]I wanted to but I was afraid they may slip under pressure and scratch the wheels. so I got a few over sized sockets and laced the insides with a hardening compound, hammered them on. let em set for an hour then used a breaker bar but to no avail:(

so here are pics. any ideas as to the brand?[/QUOTE]

those are like the oem locks. i suggest taking it to a tire shop. they usually have the tools, i dunno how much they charge but if its cheaper buying the tool, then great. if not then just buy the tool urself… just know that tool works best with an impact gun, unless u smack the tapered socket on with a hammer… and by doing so it can be very difficult to remove the lock from within the socket afterwards… so be careful.

oh and btw… u’re idea definitely didn’t work and wouldn’t have worked had u mentioned it, so we could’ve saved u the time and told u that b4 u bothered. crap isn’t gonna stick to a chromed surface.

yea its not moving anytime soon with no motor. most places ive been too dont have the right size tool but thanks for the info:)

then i suggest u buy the tool set then. i believe snap-on, matco, mac, maybe sears has it too. measure the diameter of the lock, and take the diameter length with u… so that when u look for the tools u can be sure it works b4 u even buy it.

if you can fit a 12point socket in lug hole, then get a 12point that’s about the same size or one size smaller, pound it on with a hammer then wrench it off

Have access to a welder? Could always weld a ratchet extension or nut on there.

:up: could have those lugs off in less time than it took me to post this message.

[QUOTE=GEN2GSR;2043517]
so here are pics. any ideas as to the brand?[/QUOTE]

They look like McGards:

http://www.mcgard.com/Home/AutomotiveProducts

But then again, everything looks similar.

okay… try tightening the other 3 lug nuts tighter than spec so it loosens up the 4th lug nut that needs a key… then try a Craftsman screw driver to dig into a part of that lock and twist it with a vise grip… … oh and use WD40 in that wheel lock hole… once it breaks free then you can twist it off with your hand… but be sure to take those other lug nuts back to spec. or you might warp your rotors… i say use a craftsman screw driver because any damage to it you can return them for a new one at sears.

Yea and you just destroyed a 15 dollar screw driver for 10 dollar locks!

Hammer on a socket and ratchet them off done!