performance shocks with stock springs? worth it?

You guys think its worth it to buy some performance shocks if you keep stock springs? I’m a spirited driver, but i’m not willing to invest in springs, and deal with the alignment issues that lowering the car brings you on my DD. I also drive some rough roads, and i really don’t need the car to be any lower then it already is. But it is time to replace the shocks and i’m considering some GR-2’s or Tokico Blues over the Duralast. Think it’ll be worth it? Or should i go with the cheaper shocks instead?

those choices that u mentioned are basically 1 step above oem. they are good replacements tho. if anything… sportier springs will most likely drop the height of ur vehicle. but for ur application, i suggest just changing out those struts (shocks) and u should get a nice ride back. u can sometimes find them used too, but is risky of course.

but is there any performance gain to using performance shocks with stock springs?

If not, i’ll just get the AutoZone shocks. This is just my DD. i don’t wanna waste my money on KYB shocks if its just for the name and not any performance upgrade…

[QUOTE=kyle10182;2037895]but is there any performance gain to using performance shocks with stock springs?

If not, i’ll just get the AutoZone shocks. This is just my DD. i don’t wanna waste my money on KYB shocks if its just for the name and not any performance upgrade…[/QUOTE]

yes there is a difference. quality and dependability is what u get when u go with ANYTHING other than autozone stuff. some kyb gr2, or tokico blues are a good investment cuz u wont’ have to do the work more than once anytime soon.

and the performance gain that you’ll get is… the car will be getting close back to the way the car felt when it was new. replacing ur bushings is the next step to getting that performance and quality ride back.

If there is SCCA autocross near you, stock class competition allows shock upgrades but NOT springs, so yes it is beneficial with new shocks only. Your transitional handling should improve (steering side to side, jumping on the brakes or on the gas) but your steady state handling should be about the same (hi speed body lean).

Front Rear
8041 1200Sport 8041 1201Sport

Those are the part numbers for koni sport shocks. They cost more than the shocks mentioned above, but are known to be much more durable AND rebuildable if you request a custom damping rate in the future. Good choice for rough roads like you mentioned.

thanks a lot man. great help.