X

wheel bearing help. .

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel bearing help. .

i need to know how to tell if wheel bearing is bad. i have a shake in my front end so i replaced my tie rods. ( 1 was bad ) i got a alignment and it was still there. so i put a new set of tires and wheels on thinking they were wore or out of balance. its still there. my right rotor is getting hotter then it should be. ( might burn you if you touch it ) but the rotor itsself isnt blue or burnt for a caliper being hung up.

it mainly does it around 50-60

a simple shake test should be able to tell you

jack the car off the ground and grab the tire by both sides and try to wiggle it.
    grab top and bottom and repeat

i also like to put the car in nuetral and spin it with my hand on the tire to see if it rolls smooth or not

there are a lot of things that can cause shaking but this is usually a good place to start

also grab your radius rods and try to wiggle those. then see if your axles have any play ... they should have a tiny bit but anything over 1-2 mm back and forth (at the inner c.v.) you should pull them and inspect the splines.

your alignment will make your car shake if the toe or caster are off ... most likely the toe tho

Comment

a wheel bearing doesn't necessarily have to be loose for it to be bad. it can simply be noisy and that can be enough to make a vibration. you'll hear it humming while you drive and the sound will be more loud when you turn to the left or the right depending on the side that isn't good. dont forget to inspect your ball joints.

Comment

lift the wheels you checking off the ground, spin the wheel and feel the springs, if there's roughness or vibration you bearings probably bad, if it's smooth then you're all good, if the bearings bad you'll also get some pretty loud humming sound while driving.. GL

Comment

Working...
        X