Skunk2 Lowering Springs/Tokico Blues

I installed some skunk2 lowering springs (not sleeves) over tokicos blues 2 days ago. The car is pretty low, although the car doesn’t look like the front is lower in the front than the rear like it should be it’s only been 2 days so I guess it needs to settle since they are brand new. So far seems so good. My problem is I came across a thread here on G2IC saying the SHORTER SPRINGS are supposed to be in the rear and the LONGER springs in front? Logically I did it shorter springs in the front and longer in the rear because when just looking at everything it seemed like it was the only way to fit. I found a pic of someone who had the same set up who installed them the same way I did. Basically I need someone to confirm if I have it right. Here is a pic of how I have the Skunk2 Springs on my shocks. Thanks

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2644/741/6607870039_large.jpg

Any body?

u could’ve compared the springs that u removed… just a thought :angel:

That’s pretty much what I did. It’s because I read a thread on here saying to install shorter springs in the rear and longer ones in front. That’s not how I installed mine. I just wanted to know if I installed them right.

Shorter in front, longer in the rear.

Thanks Matt. Any idea on how long it takes for new suspension to settle?

The Skunk2 springs go tighter coils on the front and the shorter wider coiled ones on the back, the longer ones are the compensate for the weight of the engine.

First of all, that pic you linked, is completely messed up for a reason.

The front shocks in that pic, have the correct springs on them. The rear shocks, have stock tokico springs on them, the rear shocks in the picture you have supplied are not skunk2 springs, i’d show a pic of my skunk2 springs i bought to show you the difference, but if the pic in the OP is what you put on your car, no wonder, they’re not skunk2s on the rear, you’d see why the shorter ones went on the rears if you had the actual springs. Thats what it looks like to me anyway, unless they say skunk2 on all 4 of them with part #'s to reference to make sure theyre for trhe right application

Because THIS is what skunk2 springs for 90-93 integra’s look like (just pictured with skunk2 shocks)

Notice what the shorter ones look like and the taller ones look like compared to yours. Looks like you just have the front ones and missing the rears

Here was a picture of 1 of my rear ones installed when I put it on. Notice how its small anough to where it didnt even make contact with the tophat until it was lowered down, i have to hand guide them into position when i lower the car down from being jacked up in the rear.

[QUOTE=itslogz;2034536]The Skunk2 springs go tighter coils on the front and the shorter wider coiled ones on the back, the longer ones are the compensate for the weight of the engine.

The front shocks in that pic, have the correct springs on them. The rear shocks, have stock tokico springs on them, the rear shocks in the picture you have supplied are not skunk2 springs, i’d show a pic of my skunk2 springs i bought to show you the difference, but if the pic in the OP is what you put on your car, no wonder, they’re not skunk2s on the rear, you’d see why the shorter ones went on the rears if you had the actual springs. Thats what it looks like to me anyway, unless they say skunk2 on all 4 of them with part #'s to reference to make sure theyre for trhe right application

Because THIS is what skunk2 springs for 90-93 integra’s look like (just pictured with skunk2 shocks)

Notice what the shorter ones look like and the taller ones look like compared to yours. Looks like you just have the front ones and missing the rears

Here was a picture of 1 of my rear ones installed when I put it on. Notice how its small anough to where it didnt even make contact with the tophat until it was lowered down, i have to hand guide them into position when i lower the car down from being jacked up in the rear.

[/QUOTE]

The link I used in the other post WAS NOT my setup. I found the pic on google and used it for reference because it looked similar to my setup. If you look @ the link it looks like the rear has the taller spring and to my logic i thought shorter=lower=front, so thats what I did. I counted the coils on the front springs that I installed and it has 11 coils. I guess thats wrong then. Do you have any more pics of your install? Just gotta be sure before I go and swap them.

[QUOTE=itslogz;2034536]The Skunk2 springs go tighter coils on the front and the shorter wider coiled ones on the back, the longer ones are the compensate for the weight of the engine.

[/QUOTE]

The link I used in the other post WAS NOT my setup. I found the pic on google and used it for reference because it looked similar to my setup. If you look @ the link it looks like the rear has the taller spring and to my logic i thought shorter=lower=front, so thats what I did. I counted the coils on the front springs that I installed and it has 11 coils. I guess thats wrong then. Do you have any more pics of your install? Just gotta be sure before I go and swap them. It’s been 3 days since I installed them and so far I have no finger gap in the rear and a 2 finger gap in front but the car sits pretty flat kinda like a 3 series if you will.

Well if you look at the pic above for the rear reference, this is the only pic I have of one of my front struts removed from when i was replacing bushings. I just dropped alot of cash on paint and body or these would have been thrown out, they are extremely bouncy and crap, especially on low end or stock shocks, my shocks have done amazingly well to have not blown out yet, thats why a set of decent coilovers is my next plan since this setup drives me insane.

This is the only pic i have of the front ones, if you can tell from this pic then good deal but it may not help. Above was the rear, heres the front.

I dont even remember why i took that picture, wasnt focusing on the spring/strut so thats the best i can do lol

Might I ask what shocks you are running? I mean I know my springs are backwards but its not bouncy at all on my car. I’m only running tokico blues. But we’ll see if that changes when I swap them back.

Oh I thought I stated above that im using 194k mile’d stock struts on them, it was a temp way to get it un-4x4’d. Im getting some koni yellows/gc’s soon anough once i bounce my way into death haha

i bought the car stock and i wanted it atleast lowered on some temporary setup but i didnt wanna go toooooo shitty and just throw ebay coils on it to hold me off, the skunk2 springs can atleast resell.

Haha I’m using them with tokico blues. Hopefully won’t be bouncy because it rides realllllllly smooth right now. I’m going to swap them today, how was you ride height? I just got these to replace the cut springs that came with my car. It bounced for no reason the shocks were allllll gone.

Are you guys sure the skunk2 shorter springs go in the rear? I’m doing the swap right now and the taller springs in front won’t give me space to put the top hat on, do I need a spring compressor to install the fronts? Any help appreciated.

Just put the shorter in FRONT and the longer in the REAR, it’s not that hard to do.

If I remember correctly the springs should have had the serial numbers printed on the springs. It should have F=front and R=rear? For about 2 months all I drove was my DA and thought it wasn’t too bad. You don’t know causes that’s all you been riding in rite? TRUE I went back to driving my other car and my buddys DC both with stock suspension and boy I tell you it wasn’t the same anymore. But I’m used to it now and don’t care causes money is tight at the time.

When I installed these the first time around I had the SHORTER in FRONT and LONGER in the rear like you said. But its because other people have said the shorter ones go in the rear is the reason why I’m asking. Anyway last night I went ahead and tried to swap them to SHORTER- REAR and LONGER- FRONT.

Now what I experienced is that when we tried to put the LONGER springs in front the spring would NOT fit on the shock under the top hat unless it was compressed. So I thought why would you need to compress the springs for lowering springs that are supposed to give me a 2.5 drop in the front, doesn’t make sense. So I went ahead and did it back to how it was before (shorter Front, Longer Rear). Same results, no finger gap in rear and like a 2 finger gap in the front. Maybe I’ll just give it some time to settle.

Lorder05 - Most springs do have something to tell you what goes in the front and what goes in the rear. Usually springs have either a F and R or the spring rates are on the spring and you go Stiffer front softer rear. Unfortunately for me skunk2 lowering springs (or at least mine for that matter) ONLY have the part number. All 4 have the same number that matches the box for 90-93 integra.

[QUOTE=Jonny UC;2035042]When I installed these the first time around I had the SHORTER in FRONT and LONGER in the rear like you said. But its because other people have said the shorter ones go in the rear is the reason why I’m asking. Anyway last night I went ahead and tried to swap them to SHORTER- REAR and LONGER- FRONT.

Now what I experienced is that when we tried to put the LONGER springs in front the spring would NOT fit on the shock under the top hat unless it was compressed. So I thought why would you need to compress the springs for lowering springs that are supposed to give me a 2.5 drop in the front, doesn’t make sense. So I went ahead and did it back to how it was before (shorter Front, Longer Rear). Same results, no finger gap in rear and like a 2 finger gap in the front. Maybe I’ll just give it some time to settle.

Lorder05 - Most springs do have something to tell you what goes in the front and what goes in the rear. Usually springs have either a F and R or the spring rates are on the spring and you go Stiffer front softer rear. Unfortunately for me skunk2 lowering springs (or at least mine for that matter) ONLY have the part number. All 4 have the same number that matches the box for 90-93 integra.[/QUOTE]

you know its know about the gap thats between the tire and fender that makes the difference right? almost all lowered da’s look as if the rear is tucked in or at least closes the gap. find a stock da, and you can measure the wheel gaps, and the one i the rear is smaller.

what matters is whether the car looks leveled when looking at the sides along the bottom body line (where side skirts would go).

u can also measure ur ride hide for each corner and compare it to spec. i can’t remember exactly what the ride height spec is, but u measure from the floor to the top of the arc of each fender well spot. u should be about 2.5" shorter than stock spec in the front.

cuz all this junk about finger gaps isn’t what lowering springs goes by. if u wanna eliminate wheel gaps, then get some adjustable coilovers and adjust it til u get rid of the gap. if u wanna just lower the stance from there or raise it, then u can do so whenever u like with them too.

Times are tough. My setup was affordable thats why I went with it. It is in every way better than these cut sportlines on stock blown shocks the car had on it. So I can’t complain. I’m pretty sure I have it on right now as I did the first time. One thing I did catch last night was the spring wasn’t properly seated in the top hat so we fixed that and I did get a tad lower in the front from last time. I know finger gap doesn’t really do justice simply because everyones fingers are different but it’s really all I had at the moment for reference. Anyways thanks everyone for your help, still pretty new on this forum but not new to cars or hondas in general. Hopefully I can get some pics up.

I just remebered…I still have my spring compressor compressed to my rear stock springs…Im at work so i will post and comfirm when i get home. I remember cuss i worked on the rears last.:rofl: