Are Drilled/Slotted Rotors Bad?

I’ve heard/read alot of negative things about drilled/slotted rotors but what are some of the goods about them? Please and Thanks.

they look uber jdm… that alone outweighs their disadvantages.

if u aren’t tracking the car then DO NOT bother. if u are gonna track, u should consider slotted rotors. lots still prefer solid full face rotors. the more the material, the more u can transfer heat from the pads to the rotors.

do some more research. u can find a lot of info if u take the time to :search:

i’m running slotted fronts, and drilled/ slotted rears, no problems whatsoever

dont waste your time with those.

wow… omg no way!!! (sarcastic).

just cuz u aren’t experiencing problems doesn’t mean they don’t or can’t occur. did u know that lots of old school techs don’t turn rotors when the replace pads unless they feel vibration in the pedal? its not by the book, and also not recommended. but yea it works for them, and they don’t have shimmy in the pedal, and they sometimes have even wear of the pads.

do u track your vehicle? if so great. if not… then whatever also. i ain’t trying to be a prick, but drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking. just cuz it doesn’t occur to urs, doesn’t mean the issues out there aren’t true.

also if u did track ur vehicle, i suggest that u inspect ur brakes more often.

thought i’d fix my mistake of buying drilled/slotted rotors so i went back and exchanged them for brembo blanks:excite:

[QUOTE=Squeezethis;2033995]wow… omg no way!!! (sarcastic).

just cuz u aren’t experiencing problems doesn’t mean they don’t or can’t occur. did u know that lots of old school techs don’t turn rotors when the replace pads unless they feel vibration in the pedal? its not by the book, and also not recommended. but yea it works for them, and they don’t have shimmy in the pedal, and they sometimes have even wear of the pads.

do u track your vehicle? if so great. if not… then whatever also. i ain’t trying to be a prick, but drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking. just cuz it doesn’t occur to urs, doesn’t mean the issues out there aren’t true.

also if u did track ur vehicle, i suggest that u inspect ur brakes more often.[/QUOTE]

actually yeah i’ve tracked my car for couple years with them, i’ve never cut them and i inspect them all the time, i’m a certified mechanic myself, so just cause i said i don’t have any problems with mines doesn’t mean i’m being sarcastic, i’ve heard a lot of negative myself, but personally i won’t complain with how they’ve been for the last 5 years, never cut once yet, just check the runout, a quick sand and slap on the new pads

when i bought my teg it came with cross drilled and slotted rotors all around. id get them even if i wasnt racing my car at the track. they really help show off your wheels.:up:

I have brembos & I haven’t put mine on the track but I drive far to work & I beat the hell out of my car been doing so for about 2 years & no problems with cracks or anything. I do well over 100mph to & from work & they don’t eat my brakes up that bad.

Cross Drilled

I have cross drilled Brembo’s on the front of both my GS and GSR with Hawk HPS and HP+ pads, respectively. I’ve noticed some cracking at the holes but no more than a millimeter or two - and this is after three years on the GSR with autocrossing.

The only difference in braking that I notice is during wet weather. The cross drilled rotors grip earlier when wet while blanks hesitate for a second while they dry off. That’s why I elected to put cross drilled rotors on my daily driver.

Cross drilled or slotted rotors on the rear are unnecessary in my opinion.

A good mid grade rotor and some quality pads are all you need. I would recommend the Hawk HPS for daily driver application, even in the winter. HP+ pads do grip a little tighter but need a little warm up first. Also, HP+ pads are scary in the winter and NOT recommended. They really don’t work very well when cold.