please help rear caliper problem i searched too

i changed out my rear pads, and now i cant get the bottom bolt to go on. i read the teg tips and got it off and everything. i screwed the big x looking thing to get the caliper to fit over the new pads. i can get the top bolt on, but for some reason i cant get the caliper to fit around the bottom part where you screw in the bolt. could i have turned the big x thing too much???

ne1?

no you just have to push on the caliper for the holes to line up. boltt in the bottom first then the top and tell me your results.
Dave

the caliper wont fit around the new pad and bolt on the bottom bolt.
the new pad is like 2x as thick as the old one. i will try right now. i will be back. i also noticed that the top piston? can easily be moved around but the bottom one is stuck.

the bottom rubber thingy is sticking out so far i cant fit the caliper over it to screw in the bolt.
let me see if i can put up a picture here. it is in the teg tips under replacing brake pads/rotors the 6th picture down.

geez

see to the right of the yellow circle. the little rubber thing appears to be fully extended. it is not bunched up like shown in the picture. i am going to try again.
thanks in advance for your help guys,
mike

do you mean piston or screw? do you have 2 piston rear calipers? of coarse the new pads are thicker, that is because they are new. the big x you were refering to is the piston. here is what you do (my way of doing it) put in the top bolt and give it a few turns so it wont move, next with one hand push the caliper toward the rotor and with the other put in the bolt (sometimes it can be a pain in the ass but its the best way to do it) and while still holding it give it a few turns. then just tighten everything up and your good to go.

just line it up man. its not rocket science. (not trying to be a prick) its really easy.push the boot in and force the bolt through trust me.

Don’t Use Air Tools

got it now?

yoo 93dabeast is nice as hell with the calipers … he did mine quick as hell and they were done right…so he knows his shyt

no, still dont got it. i turned the big x thing and now it appears to not be going in any more. or do i keep on screwing it more and more? ok the problem appears to be. to the right of the bolts in the picture. there is a top bolt and a bottom bolt. the bottom bolt is circled yellow in the picture. ok to the right of the yellow circle. the little rubber thing that looks like a black michelin man laying down??? the black rubber thing. the top one i can move in and out. the bottom one is stuck out/ or fully extended. this thing being fully extended is not allowing me to put the caliper back on. it is too wide.

i tried to put my back pads on so that i can just try tomorrow when i get home from work, but when i put the old pads back on. the bottom bolt fit with no problem (of course, cause of the old worn pads), but the top bolt, now does not sit flush when fully tightened. there is a little gap between the rubber thingy and the caliper. i know this is not suppose to be that hard, but crap!!

the black rubber thing is called a dust boot. compress it and the bolt will go right in. i wish i had my own detailed pictures to show you. the gap you were refering to is because the piston is all the way in there is nothing wrong with it. just compress the boot against the caliper and the bolt will go in. just align everything and it will go in with ease :naughty:

yes, that is it. the boot needs to be compressed. but how do i do it?
how do i compress the boot? is there a special tool or something?
thanks again,
mike

the special tool is your thumb

lol ok sorry. i will try first thing in the morning what if it is a little hard to compress is ther anything else i could use?

cant tell if hes talking about the piston boot or those 2 small boots?!?! :shrug:

circle it in this picture

number 18 is what he is talking about. you dont need any tool for it. use your fingers :tsk:

yes it is number 18, but it goes over number 19. number 19 is the part that seems to be stuck. i should be able to move 19 in and out correct? along with it, 18 should move as well.