long trip, adjust the springs up 2-3 inches, alignment?

xmas trip
i am taking a trip and my car has been slammed on the adjustable lowering springs for a while. the camber kit is on and has been aligned. do i really need an alignment if i raise only the front springs only 2-3 inches.

only 2-3 inches?! that is a lot man, i’m sure you’d have to get it aligned and adjust the camber with that much of a change. i guess you could do it, but your tires will probably be fucked by the time you get home.

sorry i dont have a definate answer, but i wouldn’t do it unless i had a spare set of tires

yea. i have 205/40/17 and the tires are new. i love the tires and the car has done no real roadtrips after the drop. this time of the year cost so much money and i’m never ready. thats 70 bucks for a 4 wheel alignment around here

when you raise your car, the toe will go outwards. a 1 or 2inch drop will probably cause enough toe-out to cause the tires to wear quickly, as well as very twitchy steering. almost dangerous. you’ll see once you do it. the car will want to veer off the road, so hopefully the alignment place isn’t too far.
needless to say your camber will go out as well. 2-3 inches would be nuts. your tires will squeal just making a regular turn.

fyi when we lower, the toe goes in, so the steering isn’t twitchy. in fact, high speed driving may feel more stable. then with negative camber, the car seems to corner better. this is why when you raise it back up after realigning, the outcome is the opposite.

70bucks is about right, but usually they won’t touch your camber since it is not adjustable from the factory. you might want to try looking for a shop that will align you for much less, 30-50, and will let you adjust camber. you might also want to try talking to the alignment guy at your favorite big chain tire shop before going in to ask the cashier for a free alignment check, he might be able to hook you up for even less :stuck_out_tongue:

why raise only the front springs?

From what it sounds like you are interchanging the terms toe and camber. Please clarify. I know for a fact that as the suspension compresses (ie. gets lower), most cars have negative camber which looks like this standing from either the front or back of the car / . Toe is relative to camber but they should not be referred to as the same thing.

Toe is affected by ride height as XDEep says. Lowering a car does cause toe-in and raising a car causes toe-out.

Anytime you change your suspension’s ride height, an alignment is needed.

Duy, i agree that it’s true, but from an outsider’s point of view it just seems like he’s interchanging the terms. That’s all I’m saying. :slight_smile:

you probably thought i was confused since they both do the same thing when lowered - go inwards, or when raised back up - go outwards.

toe going negative or in when lowered would like this / \ viewed from the top.
camber goes negative when lowered looking like this / \ viewed from the front/rear.

then of course toe out \ / viewed from the top.
camber positive \ / viewed from the front/rear.

well, with a name like “blunt” one can only guess that he’s on something, causing him to think it would be mad dope y0.

haha! get it? DOPE!!

:rofl:

I’m clear about the issue. For others out there that might not know the difference, it seemed a little confusing because you never really explained camber, only mentioned it.

so i put on adjustable lowering springs and a camber kit. before my alignment i made it look how i wanted. the front springs were lowered all the way. the rear were adjusted all the way up. i have areospeed springs. the ride has been too bouncy. and i was thinking for a road trip i could adjust my front up some to match the back springs. i did not want to have to get an alignment before christmas. but from what the forums says i should not do this. does this apply if i just raised it an inch? i am sure my camber kit still left me with a negative camber.

Armed Ferret - rock on :rockon:

what dampers are you on? bounciness is usually from too weak of damping for the springs. If you are still using the stock shock bodies then your ride will probably be bouncy no matter where you adjust the springs.

Any change in ride height will produce a change in camber and toe. obviously a smaller change will produce less of a result.

i am about to change to some HP Tokico i think. i have replaced the OEM ones with some good carquest ones. but they suck for lowering. i am researching because i think i want different springs also.

you’re advised to go with koni yellows if you drop more than 1.5" as the tokico/kyb/etc. brands void the warranty past that.

do you have the koni yellows? how are they for you?

ya i have them in the rear. wouldnt hesitate to buy a set all around again. they are very popular for our cars for both competition and even street. kinda pricey compared to the others, but well worth the investment (~$550). check the product reviews.