X

alignment shop specs

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment shop specs

My alignment shop says that they can't do alignment on a lowered car unless I supply them with some data that they say should have been supplied with the lowering springs. I have H&R racing springs that I got cheap from an auto parts store that custom ordered them for someone that never picked them up. There was no information supplied with them. Does anyone know what data I am missing? I just installed Ingalls camber kit on the fronts and want to get the alignment done. I guess I need to supply them with data that goes into their computerized alignment system.

Jeff

Originally posted by smithjw
    My alignment shop says that they can't do alignment on a lowered car unless I supply them with some data that they say should have been supplied with the lowering springs. I have H&R racing springs that I got cheap from an auto parts store that custom ordered them for someone that never picked them up. There was no information supplied with them. Does anyone know what data I am missing? I just installed Ingalls camber kit on the fronts and want to get the alignment done. I guess I need to supply them with data that goes into their computerized alignment system.

Jeff
    no data....
    they usally ZERO it out ...

Comment

I supply them with some data that they say should have been supplied with the lowering springs

All they can set is toe anyway unless you have camber kits. Go back and have them set the front and rear toe to factory spec. I hate shops like that.

Comment

They need to set the alignment specs to what YOU want them set to. If you don't know what you want, and you just want good alignment specs so that your tires don't wear out... then just have them use the factory settings. If they still give you trouble, just go somewhere else. Somewhere that will work with you.

***Edit***
        You're too fast for me Duy!!

Comment

Only because you put that B18a back in :p

Comment

Originally posted by Archon

All they can set is toe anyway unless you have camber kits. Go back and have them set the front and rear toe to factory spec. I hate shops like that.
            Let me elaborate a little. I put the springs in a year ago. They aligned it to factory spec for a 92 teg. Now I noticed that each tire rotation that I made, the inside edge of each tire was wearing. So, I just bought Ingalls camber kits for the fronts and installed them. Now I went back and told them I need another alignment. That's when they said I need to supply them with some specs about the lowering. I know it's out since I put the camber kits in. I can eyeballl that the front tires are now each pointing slightly outward. Makes the steering seem real easy. I guess this is oversteer? At any rate, I will tell them to keep the adjustments to normal spec. I only want to keep the tires from wearing. Don't need any performance type adjustments. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Comment

Just tell them to zero out the toe in the front, that is what is wearing your tires mostly. Rear toe in is supposed to be something like 2mm I believe. For camber go for -0.5 (or less) front and rear. The "easier" steering you feel is due to the toe out. It's not oversteer, that would be if the back end wanted to slide out during a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Archon
                Only because you put that B18a back in :p

Comment

Let me elaborate a little.[snip]
                  If this is the case, have them bring the camber meaurements as close to OEM as possible. Some yokles don't even out the camber left and right either so keep an eye out for that by getting an "after" print out.

Have them set toe to OEM.

This shop is making it more difficult than this process needs to be. Find another one or go back with this information.

Comment

Go to a different shop

I work for one of the bigest tire/allignment shops in the west coast(canada). They whouldn't need your help, and if tehy do tehy are not skilled. Go somewhere else man.

Comment

I just had my car aligned today and this is what the printout reads:

Specifications for 93-90 Acura Integra:

FRONT
                      caster: Min +0.52. Max +2.52
                      camber: Min -1.00. Max +1.00
                      toe: Min -0.10. Max +0.10

REAR
                      camber: Min -1.68. Max +0.32
                      toe: Min +0.07. Max +0.13

Since I have the info I thought I'd post for anyone who cares or can make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDice_NoDice
                        Go to a different shop
                        exactly

Comment

Update

OK, I had the alignment done. I told them to go with factory specs and to check my front camber since I installed the Ingalls and adjusted by using some geometry. The printout showed that my front camber was at -0.5 on both sides. I told him that was what I was shooting for as per recommendations here. The toe was way out at -1.29. There were able to get toe adjusted to 0.00.

So I was kinda proud of myself for getting the front camber to where I wanted it without having him mess with it. I had put some washers in the rear for that camber and that came out to -0.8, a bit higher than I would have liked. Maybe another washer or 2?

Jeff

Comment

Your specs sound good. Your rear camber should be fine. The rear tires don't wear as fast as the fronts, so even w/ more neg camber you shouldn't have a problem. Plus, you're under a deg for front and rear.... i don't suspect you'll see any abnormal wear. I'm running -1.25 deg and my tires wear completely evenly (but I do a decent amount of "spirited" driving).

Ideally you'd probably rather have more neg up front than more in the rear.... but considering how close your numbers are and that you just want a good alignment to conserve tires...I wouldn't worry about it at all. Especially since if you add more washers to the rear you really would want to have them re-align the rear end. So I don't see it being worth the time/$$.

Comment

Working...
                            X