GC top mount, GC's, and Koni Yellows (assembly)

ok i just assembled one of these and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it looks right. i swear the instructions given in the koni box and the ground control box really suck.

also, should i cut the bump stop that comes with the gc top mounts?

looks about right to me …your supposed to cut the bump stop in half …how much did that cost you altogether?

i bought everything brand new cause i didn’t think to look around for used koni’s. but brand new i got the koni’s for like $520 then the ground control’s for $399 and the upper mounts were $198 for all four. so well over $1000 after shipping and what not. i would have had all this stuff put on my car way back in june but i got in a bad accident and have spent the year repairing my car. i’ll try and take pictures of the install to help others.

Does the Ground Control’s threaded sleeve just rest on the circlip on the Koni shocks?

Peter

yea, in the ground control instructions it shows a picture of everything and it points to the koni snap ring and then there is only the GC sleeve and it says the Koni adapter is pre-installed in the threaded sleeve.

i finished putting the rest together yesterday.

So the GC’s come with the adapter so you can use them with the Koni’s? I was thinking about getting a set of GC’s w/ the top mounts also. Hope you like the new setup. :up:

Peter

yea but when you order the GC’s you have to specifically tell them that you’ll be using the springs on koni’s. i’m hoping to get everything put on later this week when i have a day off. i’ll try to take pictures and all.

Nice setup :up:

wow. why do the rears have a lot more range of adjustment than the fronts?

actually i never realized that but that is a good question

It’s because the DA rear shocks are so long. With the sleeve as long as it is, you can still run a 7" spring and raise the car to a streetable height.

i figured it was something along those lines. thanks.

to save others money…there’s no really any need to get the rear GC upper mounts. There’s lots of shock travel in the rear without using the mounts. Unless your using them for the extra stiffness.

U|

wow. why do the rears have a lot more range of adjustment than the fronts?

I will type this in capitals on purpose for future reference to people with their back ends sitting too low:
DON’T EVER BUY COILOVERS FOR OUR G2’S THAT HAVE EQUAL LENGTH COILS AND EQUAL LENGTH SLEEVES FRONT AND BACK. THEY WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR OURS CARS.

This should answer all the people who will post in the future (and they’ll be many) saying, “why is my back end sitting so low, and it’s adjusted all the way up?”

I have Matrix coilovers with this problem.

i guess i should be straight then :up:

ah, so it was so they could save money on designing different springs then. thanks for the clarification.

2ndgnautoxr: Did you order the top mounts from GC directly? Are they street legal or off road use only? Thanks.

street legal?

Its just an extended upper mount to keep the shock from bottoming out.

maybe like the Tein coilovers say for off-road use only?

they were ordered directly from ground control and i sure as hell hope they’re street legal.