advantage & disadvantage of coilovers vs lowering springs?

Hi,
I am contemplating if i should get coilovers or lowering springs for my 92teg. i don’t know much about either one, can someone list the adv. and disadv. for both?

thanks

people might say search .but

i am tired of coilovers. i want to change to lowering springs. ive had coilovers for something like 2 years.

could you elaborate, like why?

I’m sure you will get differing opinions on this matter. First of all, I would definitely suggest searching. While you might not find a direct answer to your question, you might find some comments from others on this topic that you’ll find helpful.

As far as your question goes, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides. The good thing about coil-overs (I will assume you’re not talking about a full coilover system and are actually talking about just a spring with a sleeve and adjustable perches) is that you are able to dynamically adjust your ride height, which allows for a very clean, even drop if done properly. Unfortunately, there are many coilovers out there that use poor quality springs, resulting in bad handling characteristics.

I chose to do springs, and was able to get a nice drop for not a lot of $$. I’m still undecided on what direction I’m going to take with suspension, whether it be to add Koni Yellows to the springs I already have, or perhaps switch out to a Tein full coilover (spring and damper).

Again, I would just read a lot on this topic; it’s been discussed a lot 'round here.

HTH :up:

my coilovers i had to adjust quite a few times to get a perfict lower. then the ride doesnt feel as stable and a little to bouncy.
replacing sturts and shocks are important.
not to say what i think i want but i want skunk 2 springs next. i have areospeed adjustable.

If you don’t plan to raise or lower the car much than springs and good adjustable dampers will be fine. Coilovers are worthwhile if you don’t know of any springs you like, or if you will be adjusting your ride height. Some will say that coilovers are bouncier, but they are usually the ones with cheap coilover sleeves and stock or cheap replacement dampers.

it depends how much you are willing to spend… drop springs are relitively cheap and ride pretty comfortable… coilovers can range from cheap to fairly expensive…and obviously you get what you pay for… so if you wanna buy coilovers and not buy struts… you may still have a bad ride… depending what you buy and what spring rates… ground controls ride pretty damn smooth even slammed… and a lot of people will probably tell you to team them up with koni’s for an even better ride