Re-vamping Rear Setup [fun!]

Projected due date is december, this is pretty much a christmas present to myself…

Re-springing and Re-Valving my tein ss [rear] to 650lbs
[question is, is this streetable?! haha]

22mm Rear Sway bar
[any suggestions on which type? progress, ST or ITR]

EF Mugen TA bushings
[im sold on these]

ES bushings for everything else
[LCA, sway bar, etc]

my estimate for all this is about $600, and im hoping to get out to west end alignment to get cornerwieghted and aligned.

you guys have any suggestions, im hoping to do some open auto-x and gymkhana type things.

this is my current setup;
tein ss - understeer up the ass
ogle LTB
complete EM Racing rear stiffening - just bling
azenis

it feels great for normal driving, and my brother as a s2000 driver can vouch for it feeling pretty good, but nothing comparable to his s2000. I cant wait to do this setup so i can take him in the corners.

holy shyte. with a rear setup like that, I think gymkhana might be right up your alley. lol :wink:

650lb rear springs… pretty stiff :slight_smile: Nino is running some stiffer rear springs on his SS’s. I believe they’re closer to 550lb though. Its on a car that is built mainly for autox, but it is daily driven.

In regard to the mugen TA bushings… since you said EF bushings I assume you’re gonna buy the modified ones that will fit the stock DA TA’s? I’m using DC TA’s and mugen bushings. Archon also has some mugen bushings, but I forget if he went the DC or modified EF route. Thusfar both of us are very happy w/ the mugen bushings :smiley:

preciate the input :wink:

after doing some reading and what not, i found out that the Mugen EF bushing slips right into the DA TA bushing sleeve. the hard thing is burning out the old bushing to get the new one to fit in, i was thinking of using DC TA’s, and its still not out of question, if i can find a good set, ill probably do it. saves me the headache of trying to shave out the old bushing.

ah, ok, thats how you plan on doing the ef ones. Sounds like a lot of work, but it should be able to be done. I just figured that using DC arms was easier and not really much more expensive since you can sell your DA TA’s for almost as much as you can buy some DC2’s.

good luck! and let us know how you like the new setup :slight_smile:

Sounds like a cool setup for autox. One thing that I’d like to mention though is that if you plan on getting serious, the DC arms may come into play eventually. Although they are almost the same as the stock arms, technically they bump you into a pretty crazy class.
The EM Racing bars do the same.
As for the sway bar, I’m running the Progress bar and I love it. It’s one of the beefiest bars for our cars(I think the ITR is as well, but I don’t know too much about it).
My current spring rates are ~500F/550R, as Colin mentioned, but I’m thinking about upping them by 50 front and rear. I think that these rates are still streetable, but I don’t drive the car more than a minute at a time and it also depends on personal opinion. In any case, have fun with your build-up and keep us posted.
-nino

thanks colin and nino for the input guys, car is used on a daily basis, as it is my commuter from my house to school [40 minutes from benicia/vallejo to san francisco state]. the roads are HORRID here, but i havent minded it so far. by the time i do all this work i should be living in san francisco so it wont be so bad by january.

im definitely excited about this setup, and will surely keep this updated.

wow, that will be stiff.

you feel the EM setup is useless? no difference over stock, or no difference over just a shock tower bar? I was thinking of making myself a set of those bars, but if they are worthless I won’t bother.

they are bling, the cpillar and rear strut tower bar work. the triangulation bar in theory is supposed to strengthen both at the same time, and thinking about it, of course it should work [look at the way its made, its essentially a box with a traingle going to either corner making two triangles]. but otherwise, you dont really need the triangulation bar.

My current setup is:
tokico illuminas
skunkworks coilovers (500f/400r)
full es bushing kit
mugen rear TA bushings
st rear sway bar
195-55-15 yokohama es100’s

The ride definitely got a good deal more harsh when I did the poly bushings. Still not a problem for me, but rough roads are annoying. The bushings just seemed to make all the small cracks stand out that much more… If the roads you drive on are really bad you might get pretty annoyed with such a stiff setup. But obviously it depends on you. I’ve been fine w/ my setup thusfar, but there are definitely times (usually when driving in L.A.) when I wish I had another car to drive… something more comfortable and more practical. Of course that feeling goes away once I find some nice turns :smiley: