anybody ever reck their axles or tranny after lowering their teg?

undefined
I just put 17s on my teg and lowered it 4 inches and its still about 4 inches from the ground to the side skirts, which are another two inches from the actual body. My mechanic saw my car and said that I was gonna reck my axles and my tranny because of the strain of the axles being at such a steep angle? I need a definate answer from someone who knows their stuff. :getsome:

I hit a bump awhile back and smashed my trannie on the bottom…

:search:

yes, lowering the car does put more strain on the axles.

You will go through axles more quickly because the joints were not designed to operate at that angle. Especially so if you are putting significant power down. As long as you do not constantly beat on them (burnouts) they should last a decent amount of time though. Luckily a lot of places have lifetime warranties on axles and can pop a new one in very quickly, or you can do it yourself.

Also since you’re lower to the ground road debris has a greater chance of tearing the boots.

my rear engine mount was broken, when I shifted the engine rocked and spit out my pasenger side axle.

i’ve had an axle completely seperate at the joint. one piece was just draggin on the ground hehe. another time one broke, the wheel just jerked to the left really hard. i almost lost control and had to use both hands to keep the wheel straight. (no p/s…)
luckily, both times i was near my neighborhood so i didnt have to drive far. i hate axles, i’m on my 4th or 5th set in 2 years…and i didnt even drive the car for almost a year. they go out every couple months. :frowning:

I have replaced my axles inside and outside

they should hold up for a while

I’ve gone through about 4 sets of axles. mostly cheapo rebuilt fenco ones. Most of the time they breakw hen I shfit into 2nd. Infact I’m on a new set as of 2 months ago and my driver side is alreayd going. Then again. I am lowered alot too and also putting down alot of power but taht’s desides the point. I was breaking axles even when I was NA