how to remove steering rack

Hello guys! I’ve searched “steering rack” and i have found nothing on how to install only the fact that it shows how to install a manual rack.

Anyone know how to install the steering rack… Thanks guys!

anyone?

All I know its hard as hell from what I have heard. :tsk:

you have to drop the rear cross member.

i need detailed info.

Mark

you got helms?

only helms can give detailed info

1986-1993 Repair Guide - Power Steering Rack Removal and Installation

Chunk

thanks for the info.

I have a question though.

how do you remove the lines from the rack? is there a special way or no? i’m afraid of breaking the line. Let me know guys!

Thanks.

unscrew the heads on the hardlines and gently pull them out, they have a little bit of flexibility so you can get the rack out of there.

get some flare nut wrenches. regular box wrenches will most likely round out your flare nuts on your hard lines. that’s bad.

very bad.

5-pc. craftsman flare nut wrench set, 30 bucks

9-11, 10-12, 13-14, 15-17, 16-18 mm sizes. can’t go wrong. great for brakes, steering rack, anything with a flared hard line going into it. :up:

hm, good call armed ferret, i didn’t run into that problem when replacing a friends rack, but those wrenches seem like a good idea now.

Thank you guys for all your help! Really appreciate it!

the only problem im left with is taking the spring pin off the linkage.

what could i use to take that off???

That can be an extreme bitch. Sorry to tell you but if you’re unlucky that is probably more than a little problem. I tried a hammer and punch, cobalt drill bits, screw outs, heat, liquid wrench, pretty much everything you can do with the shift linkage still attached to the car (and working upside down with the car a foot off the ground) And the pin didn’t budge. I know people get it out but it can be a real pain.

just remove the linkage at the shifter. :slight_smile: