Opinions on Skunk2/DZ Coilovers

just wanting to hear what everyone thinks about skunk2/dz/gc coilovers… wich would you recomend? ( yes i searched, found a decent amount of stuff but would like some new input ) thanks

bascially a spring is a spring is a spring. many companies don’t even make their own springs. The GC’s use Eibach springs. Not sure what company makes skunk2’s and dz’s springs (they might even be made by the same company.

springs aren’t a difficult thing to make, especially if they are a linear rate spring. So you can consider the quality of all 3 brands springs the same. And in that case you should choose on spring rate.

The other part to consider is the collar and spring perch. All the ones I’ve seen have been plenty good. They might be designed slightly differently, but they all are durable enough. I have skunkworks coilovers on my car (from before they became skunk2). They’ve seen daily use for over 5 years now. A bit of the powder coating on the springs has come off (which isn’t a surprise) and other than that they work exactly the same as when they were new. Oh, and I haven’t been easy on 'em. I drive my car quite hard, so I’ve definitely pushed them to where if they were flawed it should show.

Overall my recommendation is to choose on spring rate, customer service and price…

5 years nice… ive been considering skunk2s… spring rate sounds nice, price is mid… kinda high… where as gcs are around the same… then dzs are way cheaper… if any of you have had dzs… have you had any trouble with them? also - what site would you guys recomend to buy skunk2s off of? ive been looking at inline four

a buddy of mine had dropzone’s on his DA… they seemed fine quality, no quality difference imo from the skunk2. Of course its possible they skimp on little things like the quaity of coatings, installation materials, instructions…etc… (also color may be an issue if you care about that).

Personally I’d buy used. I buy almost everything used, especially stuff that won’t be seen. Its not like a set of coilovers are gonna “wear out”, they’re not like tires or brake pads… I bought my coilovers used 4+ years ago, the guy before me had them for a year or two…

having owned skunk2’s, i feel they are much better than even gc’s which some say are the best. had them on my teg for a while, and rode in another with gc’s and i would have taken mine any day.

thanks for input. think im going to go with skunk2s… just gotta find me some now :slight_smile:

Were the shocks the same? with coilover sleeves what shock is used is gonna make a big difference in ride quality as well.

yeah, comparing like that is nearly impossible. Shocks can be different, even different brands on different settings, or different ages would make a difference. Then there’s the tires that the cars have, and suspension conditions, the amount each is lowered…etc…etc… Very hard to make adequate comparisons from car to car since they’re all so different.

both on 93 tegs with 17 in wheels, stock shocks/struts.

stock shocks don’t have the proper damping to control stiffer springs. I imagine it is a comparison between bad and worse ride quality. GC are available in multiple spring rates also, aren’t they?