Tire siping

does tire siping really work?

:shrug:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.shtml

It’s usually something done to tires that don’t have “sipes” though. All-season tires should already have some sort of siping. I would like to believe that performance tires (i.e. Yoko ES100) don’t have sipes for tire stability and control. (Larger solid blocks should have better high speed stability than lots of tiny blocks caused by siping.)

I wouldn’t do it to my tires though - if I need sipes for inclement weather, I’ll get winter tires… :slight_smile:

Otherwise, my summer tires are plenty good on the grip department. :wink:

yeah, stuff like that works… but i doubt you can do a better job than the factory. Why take a good “non siped” tire and worsen its dry performance? You should just buy an all weather tire in the first place. You gotta think in terms of trade offs. Almost everything is a trade off. If you make a tire perform better in one situation, its probably gonna get worse in other situations…

Tire siping does help on ice (and probably in rain), but it reduces the life of the tire, and as mentioned hurts dry performance.

all the sipes in the tires tread do is allow the tread blocks to seperate and spread out to create better wet raction.

falken ze512= good wet traction - less dry traction
falken azenis sport= good dry traction - less wet traction