Need help identifying this item

I’ve been driving with this thing torn for the past 2 weeks now. I didn’t realize it until my brake starting squealing really bad. I know it’s not my pads or my rotors. It wasn’t until 2 days ago when i decided to clean some gunk from undearneath the car when i saw this grayish thick oil coming out of it and all over my rims. That was when i saw the ripped. Does any body know what the name of this thingy is so i can replace it and for how much will it cost me? I really dont want to drive it like this cause I’m afraid my whole wheel or brake might go off. Thanks.

1.jpg

Outer CV boot.

It’s usually cheaper in the long run to replace the whole axle.

Ditto above. You can get a kit to replace just the boot, but you may as well get the whole thing replaced. CV axles will run about $60 (and have warranties, boot kits don’t). If you get a good price on labor (instead of doing it yourself) it’ll run an additional $50-$75.

The junk coming out is axle grease. It lubricates the joints on your axles so they will turn and spin at the same time without locking/breaking/grinding/etc. Soon, you will start hearing clicking noises coming from that area when turning sharply around corners because there is not enough lube in there.

Just replace the CV axle in question and you’ll be fine :up:

how long do u think i can drive it like this cause I dont think i can replace it until saturday. The thing was i thought it was bad grease so i use sum simple green n wash sum part of it out :bawl: now i realize that was a STUPID thing to do. Do u think it’s possible that i can manually lube it until then…or is that even possible?

although it is torn pretty badly, you shouldnt have any problems driving on it until saturday.

:werd: The problem generated is the wearing of the rotating joint. It is made of pretty solid metal, so it takes some wearing down before it causes a big problem. You’ll hear the clicking noise way before you have any actual axle problems. Mechanics use the clicking as a way to get you to replace it quickly so they can make money, but in reality it could last awhile without problems because the joint is only worn significantly when turning.

The drawback on waiting too long (years) is that one day it will come apart and if this happens at any decent speed, you will be paying for a new car and a visit to the hospital because the wheel will go crazy.

But 'till tomorrow, you’ll be cool.

:werd: man you have all kinds of dirt/dorritos in there…

Local auto parts store: CV Axle :up:

ok i decided to take all of ur advice and change the axle. I wonna know if the 90 rs comes wit ABS cause the auto store wants to know. Since u guys are like the “g2 expert” plz gimme this information asap cause I’m about to go and buy the parts right now. Thanks again.

RS = no ABS.

I was having the same problem and drove with the clicking noise for about 6 months with no problems…its just not to hot to drive around with the noise. I think it cost me 500 to have both cv axels replaced. But it was over a year and a half ago so my number could be alittle off.

500 :worry: ouch.

I picked up 2 axles for $60/ea and spent $140 on labor to have both of them swapped. $260 total.

I drove for about 2 1/2 months with both outer boots split - the passenger side one was starting to click even going straight, so I finally had them replaced. I drive 2000-3000 miles a month though.

Errrrrrrr. My shop charge $120 for both part and labor for 1 axle.