X

bad brake feel

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad brake feel

I just removed all the rubber brake lines and replaced them with Earl's braided stainless lines. I then bled the brakes, going through the sequence of wheels 4 times, and using almost 2 quarts of brake fluid. before I started, the pedal had about half an inch of freeplay, than another inch to inch and a half of brake application before it would stop. now it sinks almost 2 inches, then gets somewhat firm. Is there a way to move the brake engagement up the pedal stroke?

bump

Comment

Sounds like it's just not done bleeding yet. I don't think moving the "brake engagement" is going to help you at all.

Comment

what sequence did you use?

Comment

Besides the sequence, what method did you use to bleed the brakes? Do you have speed bleeders?

Comment

Could it be the dreaded master cylinder problem? If it's the original MC, and you pushed the pedal too far while bleeding... you may have busted a seal and need to replace it. (or rebuild it)

Comment

Master cylinder was replaced last summer, no speed bleeders - a friend pumped the pedal and I worked the bleeder screws. sequence was right rear-left front-left rear-right front. I could bleed some more if it would help, are these systems harder to get all the air out of than most?

Comment

Although that is the Helm method/sequence for bleeding, try it again using RR/LR/RF/LF

Also, what fluid are you trying to use? I had a tough time getting the Valvoline Synpower synthetic fluid to bleed right. I use Castrol GTLMA.

Comment

I used synpower. I think the oil company I used to work at sells GTLMA (they did when I was there at least), should I go get some of that and try to flush out all the synpower?

Comment

Somtimes bubbles in the system can move arounf after your bleed, bleed your brakes again, and this time whack your calipers with a rubber mallet to loosen up and get rid of ALL the air. See if that helps...

Comment

Are there any chains that sell GTLMA? place I used to work doesn't carry Castrol products anymore.

Comment

Pep Boys sells GTLMA. For troubleshooting, you can use any "normal" DOT3 fluid. I just avoid the Synpower one because of my bad experience with it.

Comment

will speed bleeders make it harder to bleed well? I am having trouble getting free time at the same time as anyone else to help bleed normally.

Comment

Working...
                          X