KYB AGX's vs. K. Yellows vs. T. Allumina's

I currently have KYB GR2’s with Ground Control Coilovers. On stock wheels/tires right now, with the GC’s set at so there is about 1" gap left between the wheel and fender.

A little later down the road, I’ll be looking to upgrade to either the KYB AGX’s, Koni Yellows, or Tokico Allumina’s.

I was just wondering what your thoughts where regarding the three. I know they cost different, which won’t matter (I’ll just have to save up a little longer).

And after searching the posts, it seems you have to use parts off your stock struts (which I threw out) and put on the Koni’s, and then get parts from GC for the sleeves to fit right. I didn’t see any thing like that regarding the AGX’s or Allumina’s. I guess the bracket for the brake line or something (not sure). I know I would like to have the brake lines mounted like they are supposed to no zip tied down. Do the AGX’s and Allumina’s have brake line mounts?

And looking at the pics, it looks like the AGX’s have the adjuster on the side of the shock, unlike the Koni and Tokico’s which have them on the top of the shaft. Which would see it would be a lot easier to adjust the Koni’s or Tokico’s.

I know with the GR2’s, they tell you not to go lower that 1.5" if you lower your car. I don’t know what the recommendations are for the AGX’s, Yellows, or Allumina’s. But the Yellows have a perch setting that seems to let you raise/lower the car a little from that (don’t know how it works).

So what are your Pro’s/Con’s for them?

well, ive been using gr-2’s with h&r race springs since the begining of summer.

if i had to do it over, i would have saved up a lil more money and went with the koni yellows, which are going to be my next shocks i use when my springs finally kill my gr-2’s. from all of the reading ive been doing…i think that the yellows are the best way to go.

If you threw away your stock shocks, your brake line mounts are gone forever - what do you have holding your brake lines right now?

You probably have your stock top hats on the gr2s, but you probably cut your dustcovers or left them off in order to fit on the GC sleeves.

If you were to go with any of your 3 choices with coilovers, you would use the existing stock parts that are currently with your gr2s, although you might want to find some stock brake line brackets. You could buy them from Vern at Power Honda or www.acuraparts247.com

As for shock choices, the Koni Yellows are by far the best, but also most expensive. They have a lifetime guarantee and are revalveable - so if you can find them used, it’s a good buy. Illuminas and AGXs are both good shocks - I would lean toward the AGX because of the price, but they are also only warrantied for a 1.5" drop. However, if you have an inch gap, that is around a 1.5 inch drop, so you should be fine. I have seen Yellows for less than $500 brand new, and AGX for $310. Keep in mind for the AGX you will either need to buy DC/EG front drop forks and get DC/EG shocks, or get DA fronts with EG/DC rears. Any difference in height will be dealt with by your GCs though.

As for ease of adjustment, all three are still easy, the AGX is on the side. But it’s still better than Koni Reds, where you have to take the shocks completely off of the car. Konis can handle most drops, 2-3" is pretty safe with them, and they do have 3-5 perches (depending on the version you get) to adjust height although you have to remove the shock to move the metal perch to a different location.

The KYB GR2’s have brake line mounts welded onto them.

The dust covers, I threw out too.

On the AGX’s, I know they only make the fronts for the DA, and figured I would get the 88-91 civic rears (I guess thats the one). If I got the AGX’s.

If I got the koni’s I wouldn’t change perch settings. Once I got them in the right setting I would leave them there, and just use the GC’s for height adjusment after that. The only thing I was looking at was ease of adjustment for ride control (pop the hood to adjust, or reach around wheel to side of shock). Install, and what extra parts you need like with the Koni’s. ect. If the AGX’s or Allumina’s have built in brake brackets or not?

it depends on how much money you want to spend …i have the illuminas with ground controls with a finger gap in the front and 2 and half finger in the rear …and the ride is great and im going to do the same setup on my gsr …but for my project Rs im going with the koni yellows with custom rate GC’s …it just really depends on how much you want to spend …

Money is really not the issue. Basically I am looking for responses like yours. Someone that has one of the 3 brands listed. Explain your likes/dis-likes. Adjustability (mainly someone with the AGX’s). Any additional hardware to use with the AGX’s or Allumina’s? Like with the Yellows you have to use stock parts.

So do the Allumina’s have brake line brackets on them? Pretty much installs like a stock replacement? Unlike the Koni Yellows where you have to get the stock brake like bracket and another piece from GC.

Pretty much I am leaning more towards the Allumina’s or Yellows. Cause I don’t like the adjustability design on the AGX’s, but then again haven’t had a response from someone with them to say how they are.

Well, I never had AGX or Illuminas, I have had Koni Yellows, Tokico Blues, Tein SS, and stock shocks (on my old DC2). The best by far was the Koni setup. I put it at the middle perch, ran Progress springs and set the firmness in the middle I think. It was a solid ride, if you hit a bump or pothole, it gave you a firm jolt without any bouncing.

I felt like the Teins at their hardest setting were harder than the Konis, but it made the ride feel more jittery and rough. The Tokico blues were crappy, but I am sure Illuminas are a lot better. I would go with the Yellows, I liked that one much better than my other setups.

I’ve had many suspensions in many cars/trucks. Koni yellows was my favourite. I’ve got Tokico whites now w/coil overs now - solid & sufficient (I guess their good for the price). Teins are good for track days.

My 2 cents.

the illuminas come with the hardware for the brake lines and etc and their adjustability is good …they are sloft at the lowest and with my Gc’s i noticed some bounce …at 3 which is where they are set now they have no bounce but doesnt break your jaw …at 5 they are very firm and will give you a nice jolt …the reason i want to go to the yellows is from what i hear from all the people and friends that i know are running them …

Could one of the suspension guru’s explain what would be the ride difference if I had:

1. High spring rates like Neuspeed Race with almost stock shocks like GR2?

vs.

1. Crappy springs with a lower rate and great shocks like Koni Yellows?

Why would it be better to have Race Springs with a shock like the Yellows? I keep seeing that Race with GR2/stock = disaster for the shocks, but I don’t understand why? If it takes 450lbs of pressure to lower the race springs 1", it doesn’t seem like the shocks would actually get abused that much at all. If the spring doesn’t compress, how would the shock get destroyed? It may be a harsh ride, but not a destructive one.

The reason I ask is because, I have Neuspeed race, and I replaced my broken stock with GR2 (no more money at the time) and haven’t had any problems for over 2 years. Yes, the ride is harsh. On the other hand, I have absolutely no bounce. Maybe my shocks are blown and I don’t even know it!
Car sure sits nice though… Please educate me.

Hope I’m not stealing your thread. It seems relevant though.

The higher rate springs oscilate with more force and at a higher frequency (car weight staying the same), and shocks attempt to control that oscilation. Thats why the high rate springs and cheap shocks setup is always bouncy (you may not feel it but it can always be seen outside the car), and thats why the cheaper shocks get worn out quickly.

btw, ride quality is the most subjective thing evAr. My goal would be to try and match the shocks to the springs. i.e. race/yellows, sport/agx, tein sTech/gr2.

My guess is that the smoother ride of the ones you listed would be #2 because the shock will actually be able to control the springs. It would probably be just as harsh feeling as #1, though, cause konis are fairly stiff.

Also, if your shocks were blown you would probably notice. Things get really bouncy and the tire on the corner with the blown shock sounds like its slapping the ground (ever seen a car/truck on the fwy with obviosly blown shocks?). my red civic’s front shocks are blown and it handles really sloppily and the front end makes the slapping noise ober bumps.

Ben

good post …i had cheap coilovers and shock blown shock on my DA for about 3 months and it did exactly what ben explained …

I have the Illuminas and I like them. I heard the yellows are great though. For the price the Illuminas handle just fine. They also have the brake mounts and adj. suspension on the top. Either way you won’t go wrong.