which axle goes to the left and right side *pics*

long story, but if someone could help me out. i need to know which axle installs on the driver side (where the intermediate shaft is)
and which one would get installed to the passenger side. or even if they arnt even correct. 92’ gs with stock ls YS1 5speed

second pic is passenger side (into the tranny). any luck with the vibration? mine was a combo of a loose radius rod and a bad axle

still an issue thats why im trying to see what axle goes where. from what i can tell the bottom pic should go to the driver side. i dont visually remember what the axles looked like when i installed them the other day. but it seems they were incorrect for some time.

oh ya where did u get ur new axle from. mines r from autozone :frowning:

i don’t think that you can get them switched. if you try to put that axle (bottom one) into the driver side, it will not seat all the way. if the axle isn’t butting up close to the carrier bearing on the driver side, then you have the wrong one in there. the unsplined section on the axle in the second pic sits inside the diff on the tranny side.

the one that went bad ( on the passenger side) was from autozone. it was new and it sucked. i suspect that the new exchange i got from autozone is giving me a very light vibration… only reason i replaced it with an autozone one in the beginning (months ago) was because the place from which i got the driver side one (a local rebuilder) was closed the day the issue happened :frowning:

the funny thing is i havnt tried to fit the bottom axle into the driver side. today i tried both into my old tranny and both can fit and seat into the pass side. with the top axle in there, there is alot of slop on the inner cv joint into the tranny. the bottom seemed to have very little. that made me think. ill have to pull out the pass side tomorrow and see what it looks like.
thank you.

yes, they will both fit on the passenger side. only one should fit in the driver side. good luck!

both will fit and can be swapped from side to side . (hybridDA can confirm) but from your pictures the 1st pic goes to the drivers side and the 2nd one goes to the passenger side . if you swap them around the passenger side axle will leak trans fluid .

i have a hard time believing your first claim. the passenger axle will probably not seat on the driver side. i have put them on backwards before. i won’t say it for sure since i can’t remember withought a doubt.

they can be swapped . when me and hybrid did my flywheel annd clutch we were to tired to notice that they were on the wrong sides. i later corrected the problem . you will feel vibration under acceleration and she will leak from the passenger side .