Axle Nut Torque?

does anyone know what the torque for the axle nuts on our cars are? its not in my repair manual, and i can’t find it anywhere…

i did find that its 134ft-lbs for a civic though… i might just do that if i can’t find anything else…

TIA

1990-1992 - 134 ft. lbs.
1993- 136 ft. lbs.

Not sure why there is a difference between the two

thanks!

btw, where did you find that? was it in your manual or did you find that online?

i know those are in the basic haynes manual and the Helms

i have an acura repair manual (i thought it was a helms, but it says acura), and i could not find it anywhere in there… the driveshafts section was particularly dissapointing.

wow thats sad to hear. Haynes are ok but far from the best and they even have it in there

i know!! i was so ticked that they didn’t have it in there! I can’t imagine how they left it out! I actually leafed through the entire transmission section just in case it was somewhere other than ‘driveshafts,’ but even then I couldn’t find it…

Yeah, it should be in the driveshafts section, but it’s not. It’s in the suspension section, page 18-8.

good looking out. I’m glad its in here somewhere

AllmansTEG: my manual is for a 93 and it also says 134 ft-lbs… thought i would let you know.

There are actually some small errors in the manual. Usually it’ll be an incorrect picture (picture may apply to earlier years). Helms is priceless but like anything it’s got some flaws…

[QUOTE=G2White;2075823]thanks!

btw, where did you find that? was it in your manual or did you find that online?[/QUOTE]

Mitchell Ondemand5 (I have a subscription)

Whenever I’m looking for the axle nut torque on any car, I go
directly to the front suspension section. That’s where they put
it for all makes.

[QUOTE=G2White;2075932]good looking out. I’m glad its in here somewhere

AllmansTEG: my manual is for a 93 and it also says 134 ft-lbs… thought i would let you know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just checked my other source and it gave me
134 ft. lbs. for all years 90-93…
Like Colin said earlier, there are typo’s and small errors
all over the place in different manuals.

good to know. it makes sense that there would be small errors in a manual this big, so i can understand that.

Thinking about it now, it also makes sense to have the axle nut torque listed in the suspension section, but I can’t see why it isnt in the driveshafts section…

thanks for the help guys!

Exactly how critical is that 134 foot-pounds spec? I changed out my rear wheel bearings recently and, lacking a torque wrench, just used my 18-inch breaker bar and a 32mm socket to get the axle nuts “pretty damn tight” by reefing on them with as much leverage as the 18 inches gave me. Then I staked the nuts and called it good.

you have an axle nut on the rear of a FWD car…?

to answer your question, i think that as long as you’re pretty close you should be fine. BUT, if you have the opportunity to re-torque it to spec, i would recommend doing so.

edit: are you asking about axle/spindle nuts or lug nuts?

Yeah, I assumed this thread was regarding axle (or spindle) nuts. You know, the big 32mm nuts that hold the wheel bearings to the spindles. Not to be confused with the 4 lug nuts that prevent each wheel from rolling away without the car attached :slight_smile:

just making sure.

ok, i just looked at my manual to see what you were talking about. I didn’t realize there was a spindle nut holding the rear hub to the trailing arm… not sure why i hadn’t realized that…

is the rear spindle nut also a 32mm nut? it IS also 134 ft-lbs. It says to replace it when you take it off also. just fyi.

i would re-torque it when you get a chance