Horrible gas mileage

I know this topic has been covered alot sorry for those who i offend. I have a 92 integra gsr untouched internals and it is a stick. I am getting 20mpg and i have no idea what the prolem is i fill up with shell pemium every time, you can smell unburt gas in the exhaust. It has days when its not so rich and sometimes it is extremly rich. Would it help to take the o2 sensor off and clean it with brake clean because i am pretty broke and dont have money for a new o2 sensor. This car is sucking up my money :frowning:

new O2 sensor and i might be wrong but even the gsr soesnt need premium. when its not tuned for premium it wont burn completely and can get worse mpg, it is a waste honestly to use higher octand then needed

Bad gas mileage can be any number of things.

I’m assuming you don’t have a copy of the Helms service manual, you should search for and download it. Will save you a lot of time and headache when troubleshooting your GSR. Do a google search for Acura Integra DA9 DB1 DB2 Service Manual and you will find it in PDF format in a torrent from many different sites.

You should try to reset your ECU first. Disconnect your battery, and take out the ECU fuse in your underhood fuse box. Leave it out for a minute. Replace the fuse and reconnect your battery. Let your car idle until your fan starts and then stops again. Your ECU is completely reset. It’s possible that this will fix your problem for now, or at least alleviate it until you can solve it. Look for people on craigslist that can get you an o2 for cheap, there’s bound to be someone selling parts.

In any case, these are the things you should be looking at first if your sensor isn’t your problem:

Catalytic converter.
Fuel pressure regulator.
Fuel injectors.
Weak spark.

There’s all sorts of things that I didn’t list that ‘could’ be your problem, just like the sun ‘could’ implode tomorrow. You should start with what the book tells you to first, and go from there.

EDIT: The correct fuse to pull is #34 [7.5 AMP] if your diagram sticker is illegible or missing.

does your check engine light come on? find out what it is

i have a similar problem im only getting a little more then 20mpg

wow thanks alot. it says premium unleaded fuel only all over the car so im not going to take a chance at messing up my motor. thanks alot i will try to reset the ecu i am sick of haveing to get gas all the time when my other 4 banger friends get 30+ miles to the gallon. and my CEL is not on

Most cars today will have “Premium Fuel Only” on them or in their owners manuals regardless of the make or model. Unless your running High compression or turbo I don’t see any need for high octane aside for every once and a while.

i put 92 octane in my car. even though my cel 43 is on, i dont care.

ya true will it mabe help to put a lower octane gas

How would it help by putting lower octane gas?

If your motor calls for Premium gas, then you put in Premium gas. :bang:

If your getting poor MPG, then do a complete tune up. Change your spark plugs, cap and rotor, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter. Probably good to change out o2 sensor as well.

Check your alignment and tire PSI.

i just got a alingment. idk how that would help someone said something how my car wasnt tuned for premium gas and that can cause it to run like crap. but ya i will end up doing a tune up on pay day

Whoever said that has no clue what they are talking about. GSR motors require nothing less than 91 octane fuel, in fact they are designed to run on it. So you can tell the person that told you it “isn’t tuned for it” to shove it.

There are two main components in gasoline, heptane and octane. Heptane burns faster and at lower compression than octane. 91 octane fuel simply means that the fuel mixture is 91% octane and 9% heptane. The B17A1 is designed to ignite the fuel at a higher compression than it’s sister motors, hence needing the higher octane fuel. Using lower octane fuel will increase the chance of knock and actually reduce gas mileage and performance.

I think you are privileged to even own a GSR, and you should feel the same way. If I could have found one for sale near me a few years ago I would have killed for it. Love your car. Feed it premium.

i will stand up and take the blame for the octane thing. i did say though “and i might be wrong but even the gsr soesnt need premium”

so im sorry i made the confusion i didnt try to sound positive on my suggestion i was thinking since i said “i might be wrong” he would double check on it to be sure

:bowdown::bow:

[SIZE=“6”]sorry[/SIZE]

haha its all good. thanks i love my gsr i love the rawwwr of vtec! Also thanks for that infromation tho i didnt know that about octane. does anybody know if my o2 sensor is plugged up or dirty? because it has days when it sips the gas and days where it will chugg it. i drive about 30-40 miles a day from school and work and colledge.