Throttle Body Maintence

Hey guys,

as part of regular maintenance, I’m gonna change my oil and whatnot. It never occurred to me until my friend pointed out to me that cleaning out the IACV would be helpful.

I’d figure since we’re at that, why not clean out the THROTTLE BODY as well (check for carbon buildup, etc)? My question is, after removing the throttle body, would I have to buy a TB gasket to replace my old one or can I just safely put it back on with the existing gasket…

HELP PLEASE! thankksss a million.

Anytime you service any part with a gasket its always a good idea to replace the gasket. They are probably very cheap and vacuum leaks are a PITA…So yeah I wouldn’t chance it.

You’ll definitely need a new gasket. The stock paper gasket usually fuses to the metal a bit and then falls apart when you pull the TB off (same goes for intake manifold). If it was very new, you might be able to get away with it.

Be careful after removing the TB to use a gasket scraper or razor blade to remove any leftover gasket material which may be stuck to the manifold or TB.

Personally I’d just clean the IACV and leave the TB alone. It’ll probably be a little dirty but not a big deal. If you’re doing a rebuild then I’d scrub it really good and start fresh, otherwise I’d put my energy into another project.

http://www.wrxevolution.com/store/p~613-BG-Air-Intake-Cleaner-Can-

Try this…it works wonders.

(for experience)

Ditto on the BG engine cleaner. It can work wonders.
3M makes a similar kit as well that is 3 steps.

Don’t take the Throttle body off unless its necessary. By using a cleaner you’ll save yourself at least an hour or 2 of time, and lessens the risk of messing something up like the new gasket or the throttle/cruise control cables.
The throttle body is pretty simple anyways, I’ve never had a problem cleaning one out while on the car.

and yet great responses expected from you guys!

THANK YOU. Will go with the cleaner alternative.

edit: Noob question but how would you go about using that BG cleaner -_-

[QUOTE=shocker85;2073927]and yet great responses expected from you guys!

THANK YOU. Will go with the cleaner alternative.

edit: Noob question but how would you go about using that BG cleaner -_-[/QUOTE]

Well I did it in my friend’s shop using a special pressure tool that throws pressure through the whole intake to exhaust system while the car was running at 2000rpm I’ve seen people using this differently but Im not sure how.

tacvbo what you are describing there sounds like the bg fuel induction which is supposed to clean more than just the throttle body…

The 4068 throttle body cleaner spray you would take the intake tube/ air intake off, then spray it onto the throttle body butterfly, and inside the throttle body while manually opening the throttle with the cable. then wipe it down inside the throttle body and on the butterfly with a clean rag. Be very carful not to break or bend etc the butterfly.

[QUOTE=si2see;2074200]tacvbo what you are describing there sounds like the bg fuel induction which is supposed to clean more than just the throttle body…

The 4068 throttle body cleaner spray you would take the intake tube/ air intake off, then spray it onto the throttle body butterfly, and inside the throttle body while manually opening the throttle with the cable. then wipe it down inside the throttle body and on the butterfly with a clean rag. Be very carful not to break or bend etc the butterfly.[/QUOTE]

Nope… this is what Im talking about (second item on the page) http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

The reason I like the 3m system is the can comes with a tube for the intake cleaner. It also comes with a can of throttle body cleaner spray and fuel system cleaner that you dump in the tank.

Check out the vid at the top of this page
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/DIY_Projects/Performance/How_to_do_a_Tune-Up/

Seafoam is also an option. There are a few threads on this board about it. Ive done seafoam and BG and they both do wonders. I now prefer the 3m setup b/c it is the most complete and the tube is the easiest to use for the DIY crowd.

While I think about it dumping a can of Seafoam in the oil would be a great addition to the 3M kit.
One tip, change the oil after you do all the cleaning.

the BG Air Intake Cleaner comes in both the regular can designed to be used with the inject-a-flush tool… or as an aerosol.

the 3m DIY kit looks legit. Might want to revert to that now…