best way to get going again?

I threw a rod in my 1991 integra GS’s B18A1 engine. I dont have a hell of alot of money and little-2-no mechanical ability. Without putting anyone to far out , what would be the best way (for someone of my ability) to locate and buy another engine for my car?
I’ve read that finding an importer of JDM engines is the safest way to get an engine that’ll pass a compression test and if not will be replaced. But finding one isnt as easy as I would think it would be.
I love my car and dont want to part it out and buy another stock one and have to go through all the lowering/coilover/shocks/rims/tires/tint/paint/ect that I’ve already gone though with this one. I bought it for $1500 and have put about $1500 into it. So keeping within around another $1000 how could I fix this car?

Any JDM motor importer links? advise would be invaluable and so appreciated and welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Lowjack

check craigslist for your area, or even on here. Should be no more than 500 for a b18a1. However you will have to do your own swap.

JDM engines can be over hyped, especially non vtec motors. Not to diss the Type R or JDM H22, I give them my full respect. Its the price that gets me.

http://www.car-part.com/ is a search engine for domestic salvage yards.
I used it to track down a few engines, including my 2000 B18B1 with low miles for $550 and a H22A1 for a decent price. I was lucky enough to find a yard somewhat near home that offered leak down and compression tests, they also gave a 30 day no hassle warranty.

Good luck.

I’d pick up a b18b or b20 from an importer. Swap over as much of your stock stuff as possible so it looks like the stock b18a and you shouldn’t have smog problems.

www.jhpusa.com
www.inlinefour.com
www.hmotorsonline.com

It may even be worth looking in your local phone book, often there will be a local importer that doesn’t have a website or at least isn’t as easy to find online.

You should be able to spend around $500-$600 for the engine, then $200-$400 on OEM parts (cap, rotor, timing belt, seals, thermostat, plugs, plug wires, fluids…etc) and come in at around a grand pretty easily.

Thank you for the quick responses. You know it really shows how ignorant I am simply due to me asking for a JDM motor importer instead of maybe a duplicate B18A1 engine dealer/rebuilder/ect. First off the JDM engines I’ve seen are expensive as hell. Secondly I’m a fan of the B18A1 only because it had plenty of power and getty up for my taste and needs. My teggy wasnt easy to keep under the speed limit running the B18A1 so going with something with more horsepower might be counter productive to my driving record.

But those links were awesome. I’ve searched craigslist and on this forum specifically for NorCal: B18A1 , without a whole lot of luck so far. But I’m not one to give up easy. Maybe I’ll expand my range and see what pops up.

For a 1991 integra GS what engines will drop in easiest?

Thanks again you people are true integra fans and it shows.
Lowjack

go to hmotorsonline.com and buy a crv b20b, its cheap and works with your wiring harness and everything. its basically a bored out ls. and youll have tons of power