ticking tacking noise in my motor

Ok i have a ticking tacking noise in my motor somewere i dunno if its vavles or a knock, but i took off my valve cover and some of the brackets that got to the top of the valve springs wiggle n some don’t is that a problem or is that normal?

those are the rocker arms and some will be loose some tight just depends if the cam lobe is opening that valve. in that case its putting tension on that particular rocker arm.

from what i know its typical for honda motors to have a slight tick to them and thats just the lifters/adjusters slightly worn not a huge deal nothing urgent really. just keep the oil changes upto date

there ya go, now you’ve got a working thread title!

Integranewbie is right on track. It’s hard to know exactly what you’re experiencing though since we can’t hear it, only you can. Honda valvetrain isn’t always the most quiet, most of my engines from the past always had some noise. Seemed a bit excessive, but was never a problem.

I would suggest you perform a valve adjustment, having your valves out of spec can cause some excess noise.

also the injectors are known to tick also in hondas if you would want to look up infromation on the valves type in the searchbar “Valve Lash Adjustment”

I just posted a description of the process on HT a few days ago. Copy and pasted:

It’s really not that hard… First of all, you need to get the specs from Skunk2. Once you know what the cams you have require, you can adjust them. Make sure the engine is completely cold.

Set #1 at TDC, adjust the intake and exhaust valve clearance to skunk2’s spec. (If they say Intake .005, then make sure that a .005 feeler gauge fits under the rocker arm, but a .006 does not. The feeler gauge should slide in and out with just a little drag.)

Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees counterclockwise, (camshaft turns 90 degrees, “up” marks should be pointed towards exhaust side of head). Make sure #3 piston is at TDC. Adjust #3 Intake and Exhaust Valves.

Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees counterclockwise, (camshaft turns 90 degrees, “up” marks should be pointed down). Make sure #4 piston is at TDC. Adjust #4 Intake and Exhaust Valves.

Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees counterclockwise, (camshaft turns 90 degrees, “up” marks should be pointed towards intake side of head). Make sure #2 piston is at TDC. Adjust #2 Intake and Exhaust Valves.

Go through the process one more time checking all the clearances, and then call it good.

dont do the above if you dont have skunk 2 cams you will fuck up you engine badly.The clearences are way off.

The clearances are way off for what head hondattic? He didn’t even state what engine he was talking about… Actually the clearance stated is withing spec for the LS, just at the top end of what is acceptable. And I wouldn’t expect for him to use those clearances, I would expect him to check to see what clearances his application would require.

B18A
INTAKE: 0.006" - 0.007" (0.15mm - 0.19mm)
EXHAUST: 0.007" - 0.008" (0.17mm - 0.21mm)

B18B
INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

B18C/B17

aight my mistake ninezeroteg i wasn’t trying to come off mean i just didnt want this guy to get confused.

No problem bro, I probably should have also been more clear about specs in the first post.

cool no hard feelings.

[QUOTE=ninezeroteg;2070715]The clearances are way off for what head hondattic? He didn’t even state what engine he was talking about… Actually the clearance stated is withing spec for the LS, just at the top end of what is acceptable. And I wouldn’t expect for him to use those clearances, I would expect him to check to see what clearances his application would require.

B18A

B18B
INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

B18C/B17
EXHAUST: 0.007" - 0.008" (0.17mm - 0.21mm)[/QUOTE]

i believe the g2 b18a has different specs for the 90-91 and 92-93.
So depending what year your engine came from, double check the specs.
You can find it in teg tips.

-Karlo
p.s. About 2 years ago, my car had loud ticking noises so i did a valve adjustment on it and now its nice and quite compared.