CV driveshaft work done on my 90 DA

[B]Hey everyone, how’s it?

Well I finally did it and it was pretty easy, I replaced my driverside CV drive shaft. The only thing that held me up a lil was the 3 bolts that were in place holding the half shaft. I recommend when doing the job get the 3/8" socket wrench on the smaller side and a 6pt 14mm with a long shaft so that you can get in there easily. I’m used to my 1/2" tool set and hardly ever use the 3/8". I guess smaller tools sometime really do come in handy.

Anyway, I got the driveshaft at the junk yard and it works like a charm. I had also picked up the passenger side since it was cheap. $75 for both sides. After driving the car around town for a while I noticed a vibration that felt like it was coming from the passenger side. At first I thought it was the wheel not being mounted correctly. I jacked the passenger side and took a look. I had the passenger side done earlier this year and never had a problem, until now. WTF??? I did notice that the psngr. side didn’t have the rubber disc in place…but why now would it start to vibrate to nasty like that. Looking at the one I pulled at the junk yard has the disc I need, but the boot has a small tear that just began. I’m thinking of just replacing the boots on the OEM one.

Can anybody recommend a place to purchase, either Dealer or online would fine., the boots and clamps? I just need to get this replaced. It still doesn’t make any sense to me though that the vibration would just now occur after several months of operation.

On a curious note, could the transmission mount cause this vibration, too?

your experienced advise would be most helpful.

thanks

A.[/B]

If you put your car in neutral and free spin your passenger side do you notice anything strange? Maybe a slight wobble, or some resistance from inside the joint?

Does it happen when you are accelerating? Decelerating? All the time? Some more information would help a lot, can you spend some time doing some basic trouble shooting then let us know what you find? :read:

Thanks I will do some more troubleshooting and get back.

After some thorough inspection and research. After driving it around I notice the wobble/vibration only when I accel from 25-45 and during a coast downhill. It does feel like the wheel is not balanced, but that’s not the case. I read in H-T the the inner CV may be worn out.
I also put the car up, and turned the wheel while mounted with a back and forth movement. I do notice some lag inbetween movement but nothing to serious to report. its very very slight, and I believe its normal.

Anyhow let me know what you think.

I have a spare drive shaft. I think I’ll use it but take the boots off from the current one from the car and get new ring straps. The spare has a small tear in the boot that looks like it just started recently, as all of the grease is still inside.

When you spun your wheel, were you looking at the end of the axle that connects to your shaft to make sure it was turning in line with your wheel? It’s also real easy to spot problems if you have a friend grab the axle tight with their hand while you try to spin the wheel, if it spins then you know it’s bad. Easiest ways to check CV’s from my experience.

Either way, it’s a good idea to use the spare and see if the problem persists. Let us know :slight_smile:

I finally completed the job. Both sides are done. Now here’s the BIG DEAL of what I’ve learned. If you have a stock Integra and you decide to go to Auto Zone, then you have nothing to worry about. I did ask a bunch of questions though…although I got straight answers from the Auto Zone guys, they didn’t seem 100% sure about some of my questions. I decided to take the chance and I’m glad I did. This is what I did before I replaced my drive shaft though on the passenger side. I had an original OEM, I had the current O.E. one that was mounted on the car, and the Reman. O.E. from Auto Zone. I lined all 3 together and all 3 were exactly the same length, coincidence you ask??? I don’t know, but I had good luck for this go around. So I got everything bolted and tightened and test drove it. Even got my self up to 55 and no wobble or strange feel. Now for the bad news. My drivers side is beginning to leak grease on the inside. The boot isn’t cracked, its the band itself that doesn’t seem to be very tight. Guess I will have to replace that and add some more lube. So I guess I’m about 97% complete. What a pain in the ass though…

Oh yeah. I even called Acura and asked are there different part numbers for the 90-93 Integra CV driveshafts. Yes, there several different part numbers. So be careful with what you ask for. If you have a 92 B18 with M/T don’t ask for a 91, and you should also indicate if you have an RS or an LS, it makes all the difference.

Now don’t take my experience as biblical, you do your own research. Most of you may have a motor swap and different transmission. Especially if you go JDM. I’m thinking that JDM may be different altogether. Good luck.