Help, Clutch?

Hey ok so recently my clutch (i think) has been acting up, few weeks ago It started making a awkward noise downshifting 3rd-2nd every now and then.

Then today the odd time when i tried downshifting from 3rd-2nd and it wouldn’t go into gear so had to come to complete stop in middle of road and fool around with it to make it go into 1st. It did this a few times, not every time.

Then when i pulled into my buddy’s place to drop him off the car shuttered and stalled out on me with clutch pushed in. Then when i back up onto road car didn’t want to go into gear again and almost stall out…

So my question is does anyone know what it might be? clutch, tranny? sumthing else? thanks.

You might just need to adjust the clutch cable. Where the cable meets the transmission there is a little black knob you can twist to tighten/loosen the cable.
My cable is old and getting stretched cause of my new clutch and I have to adjust it every now and then. It gets hard to put in gear like you are talking about.
Might not be your problem but would be an easy thing to check.

[QUOTE=Gekko;2070603]You might just need to adjust the clutch cable. Where the cable meets the transmission there is a little black knob you can twist to tighten/loosen the cable.
My cable is old and getting stretched cause of my new clutch and I have to adjust it every now and then. It gets hard to put in gear like you are talking about.
Might not be your problem but would be an easy thing to check.[/QUOTE]
Gekko, I would replace your clutch cable immediately. Your cable should not be stretching noticeably, if it is, then it’s likely tearing apart, not stretching. The clutch cable is a part which is not fun to have go out randomly on you. I put the clutch cable in the same category as trailing arm bushings - that category is “stuff I replace immediately if buying another DA”.

92Hondaintegra, I agree w/ Gekko, your clutch cable may definitely be your problem. Try adjusting the cable like he said, but like I stated above, it might be that your cable is about to break. It’s not an expensive part, I personally would just replace it. It was the very first part I bought for our race car, I wasn’t going to risk breaking a cable on race day. The cable is going to break on every DA, the only question is when. On my friend’s GSR it was 10yrs and 125k miles, on my DA it was 14yrs and 220k miles… everyone’s situation is slightly different.

hey thanks guys i got my step dad to adjust the clutch for me hope he did it right, i will try driving it later on and see if its fixed.

I think it is your clutch going out, i had the same problems, hard to get in gear, car would nearly stall, etc.
at that time, i tried adjusting the cable, it helped for about an hour of driving then it started to do it again.

So if your car runs fine after that cable adjustment and it starts to do it again shortly after, then it IS your clutch/pressure plate going out.

For my car, it was both the clutch and the pressure plate that broke. Some type of pin broke off my pressure plate and the clutch was separating.

-karlo

update, clutch isn’t here yet, but i figured id take it around the corner to get gas cause gas light was on and just wanted to see how it drove now haven’t drove it in id say 6days.

started up try to put it in gear wouldn’t go in any gear at all, so played around with it shut it off started back up and it went into gear.

drove to gas station first stop sign went it went into gear but it was shuttering a bit. Pulled up to 2nd stop sign wouldn’t go into first had to play around with it i shut car off and then finally went into first, next stop sign i didn’t stop just slowly went through and pulled up to gas station.

get gas drive home took diff way where i didn’t have to stop, pull up to my house to back in and it shuttered and stalled out on me.

put in reverse and then it acts all strange and kept wanting to go in reverse when i had brakes pushed in and it was shuttering/shaking… so i turned it off left it there…

does that sound like a clutch problem? lol

Yes, if your clutch is trying to engage reverse while you are depressing your brakes it definitely will stutter or stall out. At that point it’s engine vs brakes and unless you have it floored brakes will always win, especially in reverse. The communication between your foot and your clutch is pretty horrid I would say.

Colin is right you should replace your cable first, it’s a lot cheaper than replacing your clutch, and you will have to replace it anyways.