rattling in manifold

i went to switch out my starters today didnt get it done cause i went to start the car to make sure it was still working ok and when i did this i smelt gas real bad so im thinkin an o ring but besides that i revd it up a little and when i let out theres a rattling sound either beside or inside my intake manifold im not really sure how long this has been going on but i heard it last week when i ran over a speed bump and drug a little i thought maybe my exhaust was loose but its not so if you have any ideas what it could be please let me know

Do you have an aftermarket intake? Do you have a friend that can feather the throttle while you listen for the ‘rattle’? Also, you can use a screwdriver or wooden dowel to apply pressure to surfaces that you think are the source of the sound. A more accurate description of where the rattle is coming from would be helpful. You may want to check your injectors, too.

yea i have an aftermarket one but when i push the throttle down a little is when it rattles like something is loose but i took it all apart and made sure nothing was loose its coming from behind the intake manifold or inside it im not sure but thats the best description i can give. the injectors are fine its a loud rattle at first then when you hit the throttle more it stops i have no idea but i have checked all behind it and there is nothing loose that i can see

Have you searched for the sound while someone is in the car on the gas? You will eventually find it with the help of a friend.

I really don’t think it is something inside of it, your motor would have sucked it up by now or died from choking on it. It sounds to me like it is just a loose bolt or random piece of something back there that rattles around against your firewall when your car is shaking at the right frequency.

You won’t be able to find it unless someone is helping you, as these things usually go. If you really think it is something inside your intake you should take it all out and run some compressed air through it upside down. I really can’t think of any better way to find out what it is other than using your ears, a friend, and some small hand tools. Otherwise I would suggest you flip your car upside down and give it a good shake, just to see if anything falls out from there :wink:

not to be an arse but did you check underneath the car you did say you scraped a little bit you could check under there too to make sure theres no loose bolts on your exhaust componets to be safe.

yea i had a friend help me but ive been using the throttle cable in front of the manifold idk ive checked everything back there and still cant find anything but oh well if somethin is loose maybe itll fall off and i wont have to worry about it lol it started doin it when i scrapped over a speed bump so maybe it did just knock somethin loose. thanks for the help tho

nope everything underneath car is fine i checked all the bolts hoses and any other thing that might be loose from scrapping and nothing even my exhaust checked out ok nothing loose on it either

how bout heat shields.

the only heat shield i know about on any motor is over the header and i dont have those any more

i got the same thing but i think it might be my valves ticking rele bad. cause it keeps getting worse.

it could also be your injectors clicking .

just to let u know the whole exhaust has a shield around it …it could easy be the shield bent right in front of ur gas tank …but this is easy all ur doing is trying to locate where its rattling. so my suggestion is jack up ur car high on either side of the car . slide urself underneath with the car on and see where the noise is coming from…its simple

thank you :iagree: