Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car is idling at 3000-3500

Collapse
X

car is idling at 3000-3500

Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    car is idling at 3000-3500

    my car is idling at 3000-3500. its so bad that the car accelerates on its own in first gear. i think it mite have something to do with my impossibly hard brake pedal...

    i have no idea what could be the problem

    #2
    when did you notice this after you did something?

    Comment


      #3
      being your braking is hard sounds like a vacuum leak between the manifold and the booster. the booster itself sounds like its shot, as there is a rubber diaphram in there where the engine vacuum is sealed off to assist brake effort

      if that makes any sense, im not a great describer without a picture to point to haha

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by integranewbie View Post
        being your braking is hard sounds like a vacuum leak between the manifold and the booster. the booster itself sounds like its shot, as there is a rubber diaphram in there where the engine vacuum is sealed off to assist brake effort

        if that makes any sense, im not a great describer without a picture to point to haha
        probably the best place to start. Find the hose that runs from your booster to the intake manifold. With the car on, and idling remove the hose from the intake manifold. Does your idle change? Plug the nipple on the back of the manifold with your finger. Does your idle drop down to normal? If so, then you know your leak is somewhere in that hose or booster.

        Comment


          #5
          thanks Colin haha

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by hondattic View Post
            when did you notice this after you did something?
            the brake thing started rite after we started the car with the new alternator in and the idle thing just started today. i was driving and it got up about 4000. the car was literally driving itself in first gear. and when i put it in neutral doing about 50 it was like having the cruise control on.

            Originally posted by Colin View Post
            probably the best place to start. Find the hose that runs from your booster to the intake manifold. With the car on, and idling remove the hose from the intake manifold. Does your idle change? Plug the nipple on the back of the manifold with your finger. Does your idle drop down to normal? If so, then you know your leak is somewhere in that hose or booster.
            thanks ill try that. the little grey thing with the E on it, someone else on here told me to turn it around.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DA_all_day View Post
              thanks ill try that. the little grey thing with the E on it, someone else on here told me to turn it around.
              The gray thing is a valve, it has an arrow on it. Make sure it's installed properly. But as long as you didn't change it and it worked originally then that means it's gotta be in the correct orientation.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Colin View Post
                The gray thing is a valve, it has an arrow on it. Make sure it's installed properly. But as long as you didn't change it and it worked originally then that means it's gotta be in the correct orientation.
                which way is the arrow supposed to point? towards the passenger side or the driver side?

                Comment


                  #9
                  im gnna post some pics or a video or something tomoro....

                  im gnna go to the junk yard 2

                  so excited

                  Comment


                    #10
                    High idle like that is familiar...

                    This is the Helm's version of the problem... and I can almost promise you that it will fix the issue.

                    Take the rubber tube off of the throttle body (the tube between the throttle body and the air filter). You will see a hole in the throttle body on the lower side towards the back of the engine bay. Start your car. Cover this hole with you finger. If your idle reduces down when you cover this hole, your fast idle air control valve is in need of help.

                    The FICV is located just under the throttle body... there are two coolant hoses that go to it that can be a bitch to take off. Remove the 3 nuts holding the FICV to the intake manifold... then you should be able to manipulate the FICV so you can see two screw on the side the hoses go into... remove those. Now the FICV is free... you will be able to see a plastic thing on the inside... this plastic threads down into the FICV and I bet yours is lose if it failed the test.... tighten this plastic cap all the way down... put the FICV back together... put the FICV back on the intake manifold and start the car... VIOLA! Problem fixed.

                    My car had the same issue.... idle between 1500-3000rpm... it is likely the FICV... the brake pedal hardness is probably unrelated... it could be a failed brake booster or even a vacuum leak... but even with the worst vacuum leak, I doubt you would be idling at 3K...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by DA_all_day View Post
                      which way is the arrow supposed to point? towards the passenger side or the driver side?
                      the valve is supposed to have the arrow pointing to the engine. i had a somewhat similar problem. i guess the previous owner had removed the master cilynder at one point and put the wiring bracket (a black bracket that is there) in between the master cylinder and the booster. that was causing a vacuum leak as there was a gap between the two parts! after fixing it, the idle is a bit better and the car brakes much better!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dfwblackls View Post
                        High idle like that is familiar...

                        This is the Helm's version of the problem... and I can almost promise you that it will fix the issue.

                        Take the rubber tube off of the throttle body (the tube between the throttle body and the air filter). You will see a hole in the throttle body on the lower side towards.....
                        wow thanks for the thorough response. ill try that. next time i get in my car and it starts its issue again ill post a video. it really idles around 3000-3800...

                        its crazy. the car accelerates on its own in gears 1,2,3.

                        but the brake issue is fixed now.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          video of the issue....

                          read the description

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUJhaAxA3A
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwFPO68DCE
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlElLqmrw9Q
                          Last edited by DA_all_day; 14 Sep 2009, 00:37:26.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            bump for help....

                            Comment


                              #15
                              i would say one of your cams is off a tooth , who did the alternator ? did they do it by pulling the axle or bringing it up the top by removing the m/c

                              Comment


                                #16
                                do you have a check engine light lit

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by 7eleven View Post
                                  i would say one of your cams is off a tooth , who did the alternator ? did they do it by pulling the axle or bringing it up the top by removing the m/c
                                  he moved the brake fluid reservoir and pulled it from the top...


                                  Originally posted by hondattic View Post
                                  do you have a check engine light lit
                                  no

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    is belt tention to spec.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      im gettin someone to look at my iacv today. if that doesnt fix the problem then were gnna try something else

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        you should have taken those videos without the music. can't hear the engine. i still say you have a vacuum leak at the booster

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by gilcontr View Post
                                          you should have taken those videos without the music. can't hear the engine. i still say you have a vacuum leak at the booster
                                          theres another video of me trying to get the hissing sound on camera.

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mq8j2HkZr0

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            have you checked to see if the butterfly on the throttle body is fully closed? remove the intake arm to check. if it's not, then that diaphragm that is connected to the tb or your throttle cable may be too tight? i have messed up my cable in the past while working on the alt. can't hear that hissing sound...

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by gilcontr View Post
                                              have you checked to see if the butterfly on the throttle body is fully closed? if it's not, then that diaphram that is connected to the tb or your throttle cable may be too tight? i have messed up my cable in the past while working on the alt. can't hear that hissing sound...
                                              thats what i was thinking... i checked that out... i loosened it all the way and tightened it all the way... i just tried to find a perfect setting... nothing worked...

                                              but see the thing is that it starts out normal and after driving around for a little while it starts its issue...

                                              but i burnt out my clutch today trying to keep the idle down.. i would keep it in first and have my foot on the break and ease off the clutch just enough to get the revs down and didnt realize what i was doing till i popped the hood and saw a ridiculous amount of smoke coming from the tranny area...

                                              it smoked for a good 5-10 minutes... just constant... and it stunk really bad...

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                so you saw the actual butterfly and saw that it is fully closed? like i said, that diaphragm (sp?) can mess with the idle. hope you get that clutch sorted out

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by gilcontr View Post
                                                  so you saw the actual butterfly and saw that it is fully closed? like i said, that diaphragm (sp?) can mess with the idle. hope you get that clutch sorted out
                                                  i just had one of my friends come by and he loosened some stuff on the throttle body and changed some hoses and unplugged some stuff and recharged my flux capacitor...

                                                  the idle issue SEEMS to be fixed now...

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X