Steering Belt Question

I recently changed my power steering belt. And this time the teeth were on the outside of the belt? The V part of it was smooth but thatst he part that has to sit between the two discs. My steering has the same problem of cutting out my power assist from time to time. Does this mean i need a new pump, or did this guy give me the wrong belt?

I ask this becuase the belt that was originally on had the teeth facing inward touching the disc, but this one has then on the outside, but it fit and worked great for a little.

My belt was needed though because there were cracks and splits between the teeth.

If this was the wrong part in currently using, what do i get becuase i told the guy a power steering belt and he gave me what im using now.

A v-belt with the teeth on the outside?? Can you provide a photo because I don’t even know how that’s possible.

V-belts have been around since the dawn of time and come in two flavors–non-toothed and toothed. Somewhere along the line someone figured out that if you notch the belt (add teeth) along the inner circumference, it will run a little cooler and be able to wrap more easily around small diameter pulleys. That’s the only difference.

To cut to the point, the correct power steering belt for our cars is a notched (toothed) v-belt. Any auto parts store clerk can look up the correct size for you.

its the right size, but the teeth are on the wier part of the V, rather than at the pointed end. This is what i dont understand.

I’m at work ill try to have a pic up tonight.

see how the notches are on top, the smaller part of the V was smooth but fit between the disc so thats how it had to go in.

is this kosher?

2.jpg

I also should add that i still hear the belt squeel when i turn the car on AND still have problems with my power assist cutting out.

looks fine to me, just not the OEM style, but probably functions OK. Personally I would have gone OEM.

You can try adjusting the tension, if it’s squealing and cutting out it could be loose. If it worked for awhile but now is having issues then possibly the belt stretched over time as it “broke in” or possibly the adjustment screw became loose.

My aftermarket belt looks like that too. Nothing to worry about.

As for the squealing / poor performance, are you leaking any fluid anywhere? Rebuilding the pump really isn’t that big of a deal and the gaskets are cheap.

Another thing to watch out for is the compressor tensioner. That thing squeaks when it is about to sieze up (it happened to me and it broke, taking out the A/C and P/S belts)

[QUOTE=N FUL FX;2065532]My aftermarket belt looks like that too. Nothing to worry about.

As for the squealing / poor performance, are you leaking any fluid anywhere? Rebuilding the pump really isn’t that big of a deal and the gaskets are cheap.

Another thing to watch out for is the compressor tensioner. That thing squeaks when it is about to sieze up (it happened to me and it broke, taking out the A/C and P/S belts)[/QUOTE]

by compressor tensioner you mean for the AC? i guess i should fiddle with the AC belt to take care of the sound? i def dont want it to seize up. How do i fix this?

Is rebuilding the power steering pump something i can do? the fluid level is up and has not changed in long while.

I think the tensioner is by the A/C.

Yes you can swap out the power steering gaskets yourself. It is really straightforward once you have the pump off and the open.

is this the tensioner? i was trying to tighten it cuz it only took a hair in the other direction to make it finger-twistable loose. and this happened.

Am i completely screwed? it drove fine for like two minutes after this and when back to crap. Is this driveable? it obviously was but i mean will be ok for a little bit till a shop can take me?

Yes, that is the tensioner. Did you loosen the mounting bolts on the pump before trying to tighten the tensioner?

No, you’re not screwed. Go to a junkyard and get another tensioner. Or a hardware store and get a long metric bolt instead.

That’s what I would do…

but the bolt is like stuck in there, can i just push it through and catch it on the other side? i dont know it was built into the pump or i can just change out that bolt?

and no, i didnt loosen the two mounting bolts :tsk:

lesson learned i guess.

If i go to hardware store, what specific size and typle bolt do i ask for?

oh yea, if it only took that much to get it at finger loosen tightness. does that mean it was the tensioner? i dont know how tight that bolt is supposed to be

i have a pump and brackets tensioner if you need it FREE text me 732-861-0033
Rob

steering pump installed (Thank you Rob) and a real clean one at that. most of the bolts did not match what i all ready had, so someone had either not cared or rigged it before with spare crap instead of using what they should have, hence my trouble with it.

i made the belt pretty tight and im having the same problem. Yes i did lose some fluid but i ran to honda and got a pint of steering fluid and as im pouring it in i notice its clear? the fluid i have in there now is like red ish. Am i supposed to put a few drops of food coloring in there to see it better next time i check it? its still red becuase it wasnt empty. I’m going to see if i can just drain it all and refill it. my question is how many bottles do i need? i have 4 unopened right now but i dont konw exactly how much to put in.

also is there a specific way to drain and refill your power steering fluid? and once i do I’m going to play with the belt tensioner, but how tight do i make it?

update, belt adjusted a few times and still nothing.

i go by if i give it a good tug and the whole pumps seems to move, the belt is to loose.

While trying to turn, i get some clicking half the time. After these clicks i usually get my power assist for a brief period. The clicking is usually after i put some real muslce into turning the wheel at a standstill, and this is on grass if that helps.

when i pulled away for a test ride the steering worked real well until i got onto the street and then it was tough again.

what does this clicking mean?

bump for my tired arms?