just clicking, engine not turning over...sometimes

I’ve got this problem happening every now and then now where I turn the ignition on but the motor doesn’t start, I just get a clicking noise, I’ll release the clutch and engage a few more times and then it starts…can’t really say how many times I need to do this, sometimes it a 2-3 times, sometimes after 5 tries I just wait about a minute then it starts…now I’ve got a new MFR so let’s not hear any MFR discussions…I could go for a week before I hit the issue again or I could go back to back starts during the day while running errands, pretty random

ignition, starters?

The symptom is like this (not my car, but the same issue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-8cguvqjNA

Also there is the OEM alarm in there which the previous owner said didn’t work anymore.

check the voltage on your battery, It sounds like it is low ( 9volts or lower). Also check your terminals to make sure they are tight.

12.64 DCV is what mu multi-meter reads

Check all your grounds. It could also be your ignition harness !

Ok I’ll need some help on the ignition harness, how do I check that? FYI I’ve got a stock alarm which doesn’t work anymore…think that might any contribution to why this is happening? I’ve seen a few post on here where that could be the culprit

Please describe the clicking noise. Is it a constant clicking or a one-time click?

If it is continuous, I know this happens when you have a weak battery. But since you can get it to go, this would maybe indicate a bad connection to the battery. Check your terminals, grounds…

Can you check your battery voltage during crank with someones help? It will drop but not beyond a certain level.

Can it be a loose wire at/near the key tumbler?

[QUOTE=93IntegraGS;2061590]Please describe the clicking noise. Is it a constant clicking or a one-time click?

If it is continuous, I know this happens when you have a weak battery. But since you can get it to go, this would maybe indicate a bad connection to the battery. Check your terminals, grounds…

Can you check your battery voltage during crank with someones help? It will drop but not beyond a certain level.

Can it be a loose wire at/near the key tumbler?[/QUOTE]

One click, I engage the clutch turn the ignition and nothing… all the proper lights on the dash come up and the antenna comes up as well…

Does the problem occur on hot days, where the interior is hot, or cold days, where the interior is cold?
I know you said it’s fairly random but can you put anything together? An example would be: I’ve noticed this problem after driving the car hard.

[QUOTE=sry2say;2063051]Does the problem occur on hot days, where the interior is hot, or cold days, where the interior is cold?
I know you said it’s fairly random but can you put anything together? An example would be: I’ve noticed this problem after driving the car hard.[/QUOTE]

there has not been any two times where I can say something was the common denominator…like it hasn’t happened since I last started this thread…for example…

I know it sounds stupid but… did you check the insert on the clutch pedal for the clutch switch? It may be moving each time you press the clutch and sometimes it hits the switch, sometimes not.

bump… ive been having this since i bought the car alst year :frowning:

its so random i forget it sometimes but its been consistently getting worst.

one morning i had to jump the car after getting 12v from the battery…WTF?

omg, how has no one suggested the [SIZE=“4”]fuel relay[/SIZE]…? I bet this mainly happens when its hot, no other common factor? (Heat can be from the heater system, I use to get this issue in the summer and winter; took YEARS to find the problem)

This is EXACTLY what the fuel relay does, mainly caused by a crappy soldering within the relay. EASY FIX, open the relay, re-solder the contacts with a PHAT bead of solder.

I’ve bought a brand new relay, from Honda directly… and had this issue still. Opened the relay, noticed crappy solder points, re-soldered the contacts, NEVER had the issue again.

fuel relay would cause the starter not to crank?

what do you mean?

The car will crank over without main fuel relay engaging… i believe the CLICK u hear is the relay failing and not holding in the on position.

Open it up, take about 5-10 to get it out, 2 seconds to open it up… I bet the contacts are small/junk/weak?

Like i said, I chased this problem for over two years… thinking i ruled out the fuel relay by buying a new one from honda, but the new one had just as bad soldering as the old one. Resoldered the old one and sold it on ebay, lol.

i dont have a fuel relay problem. my car primes even when its 110 out.

my starter selonoid is more like my problem

it’ll take u 20 mins to double check the solder points… Though the starter solenoid is just as easy to replace and pretty cheap.

It’s your starter.

Rob Demorest
A.S.E. Master tech

Get a friend, One of you hold the key in the crank position when it is doing the one-click thing. The other guy takes a 2-3 lb extension bar or large screwdriver and tap the main body of the starter. Should crank right over. All the dash lights lighting up is a good indicator of battery voltage. If tapping the starter does nothing, verify battery voltage on the fat wire at the starter at all times, and 12 volts on the smaller “trigger wire” in crank position only.
Don’t overthink a simple fix. Hope this helps!

I would look at starter too. That is why I asked if it was multiple clicks or one click. It can be completely random to get it going.
The main thing I noticed is over time a delay would occur when I turned the key before the starter would engage, until the day that all I heard was the click (well more than a click if you open the hood). I tested the starter relay and it seemed ok.
And before saying starter 100% I would diagnose everything in the circuit after the starter relay. Do you have a Helms or service manual?

Me too!

i’ve been having the same problem… the delay when i turn the key and everything… mixed with the other problem i have it’s makeing for a really undependable car… IT SUCKS!!.. anyone have an definate answer for this problem yet?