Once and For all: Timing Belt Replacement Interval

When I got my 92 GSR it had close to 150,000 kms. (93,000 miles) on the clock. Regardless of mileage, I said that I’ll start fresh with the timing belt to play it safe. Having it done at an Acura dealer, I asked the service tech for the replacement interval on the belt. He said 100,000 kms. (62,000 miles). I asked “Isn’t it 150K?” and he said that there was a service bulletin that came out after the G2 was around for a while. Fair enough. Fast forward, and 100,000 kms. later I was planning to replace the belt. The Gates website says that the replacement interval for the belt (don’t know if it was referring to OEM or Gates) is 90,000 miles. I searched for TSBs on the net and couldn’t find any. This made me wonder, so I called up six different Acura dealers in the greater Toronto area, and half said 100,000 and the other half said 150,000. WTF! Who’s right and who’s trying to pull a fast one? Prudence would say play safe and just replace it, but a 50% or 50,000 Km. margin of error sounds like bovine excreta, unless the shorter cycle period is justified with facts and cases. Has anyone heard of such a TSB, or for that matter, what replacement intervals are you using? I thought I had this thing down pat 100,000 kilometers ago. Now I’m not sure. Thanks in advance for the assist.

I’m not aware of it ever being specified as 150,000 km. I’ve always heard 100,000 km. The first owner of my car had it serviced regularly at the dealership and I have the service records. The timing belt was changed by the dealership at around 92,000 km or so. I also have a printout from the dealership showing maintenance intervals and I’m quite sure it says 100,000 km.

I’ll have to check my Helms manual to see what interval it specifies, but as far as I know it’s always been 100,000 km.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1044
Team Integra says the Helms manual says 90,000 miles.

Honda-tech has a discussion here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2252175

One notable point is that the current belt/water pump might not be OEM, and thus would be a warning to not wait the whole 100,000 miles.

I stand corrected. The Helms manual does specify 90,000 miles.

Good! At least I have 50,000 km. to spare before the next belt change. I don’t man-handle the engine (in fact baby it at times) so I’ll just stick with the recommended intervals per Helms and the GSR’s owner’s manual. Though I feel that those dealers that said the service interval should be 100,000 kms. had my best interests in mind (cue the violins, please), I think a 50,000 margin of safety is just “huh?”. Now, considering a timing belt job translates to roughly C$700 rings on their cash register I’m taking their altruism with a grain of salt.