Using radiator as an oil cooler?

I recently put a new radiator into my LS manual. I used an automatic radiator that has the transmission fluid cooler ports on it for an automatic transmission. Can I hook up some lines to the ports and run motor oil through it? Will there be enough oil pressure to push the extra oil through the radiator?
Would this cool the oil at all or has anyone else done that?

Did a search and see others has asked and it can be done but is there anyone out there with any pics or suggestions on how to actually route the lines and what adapter to use on the filter to make it work?
Thanks.

Anybody have any suggestions?

think about it. what fluid flows through those ports? there is only one opening on a radiator be it auto or manual for fluid to go in. no separate tanks. so what do you suppose will happen when you pour oil in there?

no you can’t use it as an oil cooler.

yes it can be done. the fluids dont combine. they have a seperate cooler in the radiator so it dosent get mixed.but if the cooler or the lines were to burst it would then mix with the antifreeze and that isnt cool.but the only thing id be worried about is when u change ur oil u arent getting all the oil from the cooler out and of course u would have to add more motor oil to the system.you could get an oil sandwich between the filter and the block and take the 2 lines and run them to the rad cooler…

Are you having oil breakdown and similar problems because of the heat? If not, I’d say the benefits of trying to use those secondary ports would outweigh the cost of the mod. If you prefer to pass the oil through a cooling medium, do things properly: use a real oil cooler and not one designed for the transmission. But then again, you wouldn’t be thinking about this idea if your rad didn’t have those secondary ports so just stick with what you have (assuming nothing is wrong). Why screw up with a good thing?

True. I was just thinking if the transmission fluid is cooled, why not just run some oil lines and a sandwich adapter could be all that is needed. My car is stock but has about 240,000 miles on it and it might help with maintaining a constant temp? If the ports are there and it is not being used, just trying to add some fluid protection over and above the stock stuff. Thanks for the help.

One thing I’m not sure of is the difference in pressure within the oil lines and in the transmission housing. If the pressure within the engine is higher than what’s seen in the transmission, maybe those cooling coils in the rad might not be able to handle the pressure if engine oil were to flow through it. It just might break down when you least expect it. That’s why using a real oil cooler might be the safest bet.

That is a good point too. I will ask my local Honda guru when I see him next time.

I thought that an automatic transmission would run pretty high pressure due to having to keep all the fluid cool for every part in that tranny? Does anyone know off hand what the oil pressure is Ina stock ls motor?