question about plugged cat

ok sorry if this sounds like a redundant question…this is the first car ive had where the cat was plugged, and its PLUGGED. i know this cause you can hear it, its whistling, kinda bogging a little at idle, all this while giving a little gas. also its pushing exhaust out joints before the cat.

my question is, what symptoms in the engine ruing will this cause?

its seems to be running a little rough, the coolant temp is fine but the motor seems a little warm for only idling a short time (10-15 min).

its a 90 rs with stock A1 241,xxx miles btw

Mine ran rich with a broken cat.

If you tap it with like a wrench… you should hear a difference in where it’s broken, or clogged to make sure that’s your problem.

that sounds about right to cause the old head i just pulled off was PACKED in carbon on the vavles and all. if i can just get a friend to help push it up on some ramps i’ll un bolt it and start it.

im just trying to get an idea of all my little issues and try to see if its the cat alone causing them

keep the ideas coming please

[QUOTE=integranewbie;2045116]that sounds about right to cause the old head i just pulled off was PACKED in carbon on the vavles and all. if i can just get a friend to help push it up on some ramps i’ll un bolt it and start it.

im just trying to get an idea of all my little issues and try to see if its the cat alone causing them

keep the ideas coming please

I had doubts about it being the cat.

Just… run open headers, it’ll be loud but your gas mileage will be a lot more accurate.

That will be the definite way to tell before you pull the cat off itself.

[QUOTE=iblubyu;2045122]I had doubts about it being the cat.

Just… run open headers, it’ll be loud but your gas mileage will be a lot more accurate.

That will be the definite way to tell before you pull the cat off itself.[/QUOTE]

what kind’a advice is that! u have to be kidding, open headers…
first off its illegal

:tsk:

[QUOTE=mantegra;2045143]what kind’a advice is that! u have to be kidding, open headers…
first off its illegal[/QUOTE]

It’s advice to make sure you don’t waste money.

well i just went ahead and unbolted it, and besides loud it purrrs a kitten. not a hiccup, so just gotta buy a cat and it should be great