Distributor Position Question

Thanks for looking fellas.
Okay…Just changed the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and spring.
Got everything lined back up at TDC.

Question is how do I get the distributor lined up to where it should be??

Right now it’s positioned at about 5 o’clock when looking at it head on
Check pic please

Thanks again!!

dizzy.jpg

if u are CERTAIN that the block is at tdc… and that the camshafts are at TDC (pointing UP), then the rotor on the distributor should be pointing to the bottom left at about 7 oclock. that will be cylinder #1

oh and also, the rotation will be clockwise when looking at it… and it goes 1-3-4-2.

DO NOT start this motor yet. make sure that the camshafts are lined up properly. that the crank pulley TDC mark lines up with the timing cover mark… THEN put the distributor back on and make sure the rotors points to #1. once thats done, make sure that the tensioner bolt is torqued down to spec… cuz if anything u’re rotor is pointing to #2. that means ur camshafts are not lined up properly if ur block is really at tdc.

Actually I take that back. We found TDC but then cranked it a few more times to get tension on the belt. I am not certain that it is at TDC on that pic. Chances that it landed at TDC again is very very slim.

So as long as that rotor faces around 7 o’clock i’ll be ok?
It doesn’t need to be perfectly aligned?

[QUOTE=JonJonJonJon;2043541]Actually I take that back. We found TDC but then cranked it a few more times to get tension on the belt. I am not certain that it is at TDC on that pic. Chances that it landed at TDC again is very very slim.

So as long as that rotor faces around 7 o’clock i’ll be ok?
It doesn’t need to be perfectly aligned?[/QUOTE]

well until YOU spin the crank over BY HAND and put the crank at TDC (use tdc mark)… then everything else doesn’t matter. why would u crank the motor over to put tension on the belt tho? did u crank it by turning the key to “start”?

i’d realign everything back a tdc, cams and crank and spin it by hand to tension the belt, chances are that the belt could be jumping teeth with cranking it over

honestly according to the repair manual it says after lining up the crank pulley to the timing mark and the cam gear marks pointing UP, install the belt and losen the tensioner bolt to allow the tnesioner to take up slack and the tighten tensioner to spec (40 ftlbs i believe it is) and thats it belts tight ready to go then just line up the the rotor to number one cylinder (7o’clock) and you’re done

of course i wouldnt reset the crank unless the belt is off. like mentioned completely start over

Why are you even looking at how the distributor lined up? That’s completely irrelevant and pretty much a waste of your time on a project like this. The rotor goes on one way, the distributor goes on one way.

The two things you should be looking at:

1. Ensure crank pulley and/or crankshaft marking is lined up to TDC for #1 cyl

2. Ensure cam pullies are lined up at TDC for #1 cyl

At that point you should be done, it’s either lined up or it’s not. Checking to see approximately where the rotor is lined up is going to be a VERY vauge estimate of cam timing. Not only that it’s only representative of ONE cam. The markings on your cam gears are going to be much more accurate than looking at your distributor rotor.

Now, all of that info is regarding MECHANICAL TIMING! It sounds like what you’re asking is IGNITION TIMING. Ignition timing is set by rotating the distributor. You do not set that by looking at it. You set it by using a timing light. That topic has been covered here and on tons of internet sites and it’s also covered in your manual.

I usually just set it right in the middle until I get the car turned on, warmed up and timing set w/ a timing light.

okay.
everything lines up now.
the cam gear marks all align and the white mark on the pulley lines up.
the rotor is back to 7 o’clock.
just need to figure out how to get tension back on the alternator belt.
Thanks for all your help Fellas.

Once I get the alternator issue figured out, i will cross fingers and crank it

Thanks again!

Should be able to tighten the tension with a big common and a 12mm wrench.

what’s a common?

Common/Flathead screwdriver !

just pry the alternator and tighten the 12 mm bolts top and bottom.

i would personally crank it over by hand a few times first before just cranking it.

good luck