overheating when heats off

Ok if you live here in the south(Atl) you know its hotter then… well hell its just hot and if you live in the atl driving your sexy DA with no damn a/c just the fan, know its hella’ hott(thats with 2 t’s) and then theres little ole’ me(I’m 300lbs and 6 foot 2") riding around with the heater on. Those of you may say “well SiR just turn it off” I would but as soon as my fat hand twist that knob over to cool that temp gauge starts going up, i don’t dig that one bit

So anyone know what the problem is? Any fat guys have the same problem, lol

check ur heater hose, search for coolant leaks. if anything check ur radiator cap. those should be replaced as soon as the rubber gasket gets weak or damaged.

every things new and flushed and filled

new… define new in ur case.

like new oem radiator cap? new hoses? new thermostat? new radiator? new coolant lines connected to the IM and FITV and IACV?

cuz ur car is using the heater core as a secondary radiator to keep it from overheating. that is why when u put the knob to cool, that closes the heater valve (coolant line that opens up the system out into the heater core) and then ur cooling system starts to warm back up and overheat.

check your thermostat, radiator, and radiator fan. check for leaks, plugged hoses. coolant is not getting to your radiator if turning your heater core cools down the coolant. turning your heat on is acting as your radiator.

give us details on whats new and what has been checked and how.

i say your thermostat is stuck closed. feel the hoses that run to the radiator… both should be around the same temp.

well i got new oem radiator cap hoses and themostats’ brand new but it opens 172 degrees, also have 2 12" flex-a-lite fans had all the heater hoses replaced when i first put the motor in did overheat like that till last month

but i do get what your saying bout the heater core being a secondary radiator
any thing special i need to do?

[QUOTE=SiRcrimson000;2040058]well i got new oem radiator cap hoses and themostats’ brand new but it opens 172 degrees, also have 2 12" flex-a-lite fans had all the heater hoses replaced when i first put the motor in did overheat like that till last month

but i do get what your saying bout the heater core being a secondary radiator
any thing special i need to do?[/QUOTE]

what type of radiator cap and what type of thermostat do u have? u aren’t answering those simple questions but those are important ones. cuz many aftermarket ones like stant have been known to be non working failed caps and thermostats right out of the box. just cuz its new doesn’t mean squat especially when they are low quality parts. oem is the way to go unless u spend the money for aftermarket like spoon, mugen, etc.

also, those flex-a-lite fans aren’t always that great. i dunno if its exactly those ones or whether its the tfal ones, but some are known to not pull enough air thru the radiator to cool down the coolant. its like running a fan without a shroud… its pointless.

the cap is stant but the thermostat i got from a company called altrom which I got at napa since i work there fans came with the car but were mounted up front but i’ll go to the dealer to get one and see whats what

you gave me alot of things to think about

[QUOTE=SiRcrimson000;2040127]the cap is stant but the thermostat i got from a company called altrom which I got at napa since i work there fans came with the car but were mounted up front but i’ll go to the dealer to get one and see whats what

you gave me alot of things to think about[/QUOTE]

so ur fans are “pushing” instead of pulling air. are they wired up to the regular harnesses or are they setup differently?

wired a the harness

As soon as I saw you don’t have HONDA OEM parts, I already knew why it’s over heating. If the water pump is fine, then you need to get HONDA OEM thermostat, HONDA OEM radiator cap, and I even recommend HONDA OEM hoses. Also, probably a new radiator just for good measure if you live in a hot climate like that.

yea and try getting some oem fans. those might not be sufficient enough to get the right amount of air thru the radiator.

ok so i got a new radiator and thermostat and now shes running nice and cool turns out that the radiator was blocked up some where

good to hear.