X

flex pipe???

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flex pipe???

i have a 90 ls integra, i just installed a cat back exhaust system when i put it all togeather i have about a 3 or 4 inch gap inbetween the downpipe and the cat. i looked it up in my chiltons manual and there is suppose to be a small piece of pipe there. im not sure if its a flex pipe or what but i definatley need that part. please help!! im tired of getting tickets for no exhaust!

Originally posted by ///Nick View Post
    i have a 90 ls integra, i just installed a cat back exhaust system when i put it all togeather i have about a 3 or 4 inch gap inbetween the downpipe and the cat. i looked it up in my chiltons manual and there is suppose to be a small piece of pipe there. im not sure if its a flex pipe or what but i definatley need that part. please help!! im tired of getting tickets for no exhaust!
    did u install a different type of headers? or did u get an exhaust meant for ur da?

Comment

u need the 92-93 extension piece or just go to a muffler shop and tell them to make u a test pipe, extra pipe to close the slack, or extend your current pipe/cat...

Comment

yea cuz the 1992+ headers whether they are stock or aftermarket, are longer and have the o2 sensor bung hole near the end of the headers. if u got the 90-91 headers with a 92-93 cat back, then you'd have about 3" of gap.

Comment

wierd. because my o2 sensor is on the downpipe. and i have about a 3 or 4 inch gap. im pretty sure its a flex pipe. how much would a muffler shop like walts charge me? id rather fix it myself but that part is always gone when i look at da's at the junk yard.

Comment

wierd. because my o2 sensor is on the downpipe. and i have about a 3 or 4 inch gap. im pretty sure its a flex pipe. how much would a muffler shop like walts charge me? id rather fix it myself but that part is always gone when i look at da's at the junk yard.
            the flexpipe is usually part of either the cat........... or the downpipe section. i'm not 100%. but instead of asking us how much a muffler shop would charge..... why don't u just wait and call on monday and find out from an actual muffler shop? u can always call more than 1 to compare quotes.

ok so we are clear. u have a 92+ header....... and that means u probably got a mismatching catback. or u have a very short cat.

Comment

correct. my header doesnt have a port for an o2 sensor so its probably out of a 92. however my chilton has a diagram and it shows the small flex pipe that bolts inbetween the cat and downpipe. however the gsr has the flex part on the downpipe itself. so if i had the b17 gsr downpipe that would work exept that would be hard to get a hold of. and cost alot. i think it would help if i had some more pics. before when i got the car it had ebay 421's and the cut the exhasut and welded it back to get it to fit. i had to replace it because the header was cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezethis View Post
                yea cuz the 1992+ headers whether they are stock or aftermarket, are longer and have the o2 sensor bung hole near the end of the headers. if u got the 90-91 headers with a 92-93 cat back, then you'd have about 3" of gap.
                Actually Jeff, the 92-93 header is SHORTER than the 90-91. I had a 92-93 gsr parts car for awhile and compared all the exhaust parts between my 91 GS and the GSR. Every part is a different length:

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46463

Comment

i guess the part im looking for is called a middle pipe. its a small pipe with flanges on both ends. i had to put new gaskets in the top of the downpipe because they were toast and leaked really bad. i hope when this is all done i wont have so many exhaust leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    Actually Jeff, the 92-93 header is SHORTER than the 90-91. I had a 92-93 gsr parts car for awhile and compared all the exhaust parts between my 91 GS and the GSR. Every part is a different length:

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46463
                    i just read what i posted...... i get dyslexic at times. my bad. yea i should've known this cuz i put a 92-93 greddy 4-2-1 which was a tiny bit shorter. my bad nick, i was azz backwards. THANKS COLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

its all good. i posted a wtb add on craigslist and this one guy said he had the part. i guess its just a small pipe with flanges on both ends. i guess its called the "exhaust middle pipe" i dont know if i put the right gaskets in the top of my downpipe though, they stick out a tiny bit. is that good? i also put some high heat copper silicone on there too. it looks good, i just dont want it to leak again. i used to have a huge leak where the downpipe connects to the header. im hoping this will fix it.

Comment

i went to a few shops and they charged any where from 80 bucks to 150. that part is SOOOO hard to get! i went to car quest, shucks, autozone, like 5 auto wrecking yards. yea, if you have this piece, hang on to it because its golden!

Comment

i went to a few shops and they charged any where from 80 bucks to 150. that part is SOOOO hard to get! i went to car quest, shucks, autozone, like 5 auto wrecking yards. yea, if you have this piece, hang on to it because its golden!
                          lol no its not. its just that u went and mixmatched things without making sure that they'd work without modification.

Comment

yea, i bought my header and downpipe for 20 bucks from my friend. i think the downpipe is smaller. im still confused though.

Comment

so basically i need the header and downpipe off an 90 or 91 da integra.

Comment

Originally posted by ///nick View Post
                                so basically i need the header and downpipe off an 90 or 91 da integra.
                                bingo!

Comment

in that case, im just going to buy aftermarket 421 header and downpipe. no need to buy stock ones if i have a 2.5 inch cat back. will i still need an extension piece?

Comment

Working...
                                  X