Odd thumping sound only in 5th

Saturday I was driving home in 5th obviously, when all of a sudden I heard a weird noise.

I immediately pulled over and noticed I can’t shit into gears! When I looked under the car, the change extension(shown in the picture) was on the ground.

Apparently the bolt where I circled in red, came off and scarped on the ground.

Now for some reason, even after getting another bolt and washer on there, the car makes this weird thumping sound almost always in 5th gear only.

It also only happens when I have the throttle at a certain amount, usually about 30% down and if I let go of the throttle, the noise goes away. But you can hear the thumping sound loud. It happens slightly in 4th also.

I cannot seem to figure what it is, so hopefully someone will know. Thanks

maybe u bent the shift linkage?

how does that explain though, that it only happens in 5th? Plus the shift linkage didn’t fall, it was only that part I show in the picture.

bent linkage… can cause a gear… ur 5th… to not properly be engaged. slight angle changes in the shift linkage can greatly be multiplied thru ur transmission. if you’ve ever taken apart a transmission and understood how it operates u wouldn’t be asking that. try borrowing a shift linkage or just buy a new one.

u dragged that linkage… while ur car was moving. whether u pulled over instantly after it happened, it still dragged while in motion. to make matters worst it was the front of the linkage, it was trying to do a pole vault action. which probably caused some slight bend or damage to the linkage.

u think its coincidental that ur issues happened AFTER ur linkage dropped?

also make sure u put the washers n stuff in the right order.

Awsome! Thanks alot I’ll be doing that real soon then. Hopefully it fixes the issue