transmission problem

well here is the story i bought a DA and the transmission was kinda bad already,it wouldn’t shift into 1st 3rd or 5th. reverse 2nd and 4th worked fine. I adjusted the clutch cable and then it worked fine. after a month the transmission blew,here is a pic.

ok so I buy a b16 transmission and install it. I take it for a test drive and the same exact thing happens.i came to a complete stop and then start going again and the transmissions blows up at the same exact spot. i have no idea why this is happening. i did all that work and drove it for about 5 minutes and it blew up again. can anyone tell me why this is happening. im pretty sure if i was to put a new transmission that it would blow up again.

here is a pic of the b16 transmission that blew. buying another tranny soon.

now my porch looks like a transmission junkyard lol.

:stare:

wow, 2 transmisions in a row.

wish I could help man, good luck

it looks like your breaking the differential. do you have the correct axles? to blow up two transmissions like that, i’d look for a problem somewhere else on the car. the only thing that i can think of that would do that would be engine/trans mounts and the axles.

yes I’m blowing the diffs. I think my front and rear mounts are bad. I changed the axles when I put the b16 transmission in. but the T mount bracket in the back is the one that I think is the problem because only 2 screws can screw…the one bolt on the block broke when the first transmission blew.

For goodness sake make sure you find that problem before you put your new transmission in.

I think my half shaft and axles are the problem.not sure

you could probally find a case and differentials for cheaper and just build ur tranny

I was thinking of that but one I have no experience in that,and also all of the cases are fucked. they all have holes in them. so I cant reuse them I can reuse the gears and make it b16 1,2,3rd and 4th and 5th ls gears for the high way…does anyone have any idea what is causing the differentials to break so easily?

can wrong axles actually cause something like that? or even broken mounts? it doesn’t seem like it could do anything like that… even in worst case scenarios.

i have a feeling something else is contributing to this.

… to be safe, replace ur linkages. it seems as if that was the original symptom (couldn’t shift properly).

^^ yes they can. lowered fwd honda’s at the drag have a tendency to pop the axle out which blows up the diff. happened to me and millions of others. a broken engine mount is less likely but weird shit happens. if the mounts are really bad it can let the engine flex enough to mess up the axle which will mess up the diff. a diff wont just keep on blowing like that for no reason. also as you mentioned if the linkage is damaged it can also cause some weird stuff.

actually I think the linkage is messed up to…because when I installed the b16 transmission first gear was all the way near the radio. you had to push the shifter all the way forward almost touching the radio to shift into 1st. so change the axles,shift linkage,half shaft and then get a transmission is what I’m thinking is best…and if it blows after that…its going for sale.

sounds like a plan. let us know how it goes.

yes please let us know.

redtegra: wow i didn’t know that. i’ve seen ppl blow axles and break shifters, and break linkages at the strips, but never seen a blown up diff occur. good to know to. i guess that is a good reason they make scatter shields.

yeah I will keep this updated. I;m just not sure how this is happening. something is just not right.

well stick to the plan. and see how that goes.

is there anyway you can tell if the half shaft is good or bad?

yea by inspecting its operation. u should also inspect the splines, look for metal shavings, look for missing or broken bracket and lil dampener thing. spin it and check for how well it rotates n stuff.

and maybe get a straightedge and see if its bent.

when the axle pops out that diff is spinning quite fast. it basically kills itself.

ohhhhh. basically from the axle coming off of its ring clip thing… dislocates… and if the driver is still on the throttle and in gear when it occurs (for too long)… the 2 mismatched parts eat each other up and… BOOM!