speedometer Face melted

So today my car had problems starting, after fiddling with it for 30 minutes it started smoking. Then my needle melted and fell off. Bright side my car started and drives now…

My ground connection from my Engine to the Body is in Crappy condition and needs to be replaced. Im worried that my radiator might not be working well because my temp gauge bounces now. Also my tranny shifts funny. Not sure if its always done this or if now I notice it because Im paranoid.

So other than replacing the Cluster and the ground connection what else do I need to look at?
Benny

i suggest that u clean EVERY ground connection, and ur starter connections, and ur battery terminals. after that u’ll prolly need to do a decent inspection, and might as well perform a tune up while ur at it. check on ur fluids (don’t rely on ur gauges). also check on all ur fuses too. make sure that all of ur electrical components work, brake lights, headlights, cig lighter, dome light, radio, etc etc.

I’d try to take the cluster apart and see what happened in there. It could be an electrical issue, but it could also have been a simple mechanical one. If something broke in there the speedo cable could have caused rubbing and heat from friction. I’m not sure how fast the cable spins so that may be unlikely. But regardless, taking the cluster apart should give you a better idea of what went wrong.

Also, check all of your fuses to make sure they are the proper amperage.