Shakey Idle

my intire car shakes like a mad man when Im at a complete stop, its only bad when I’m in drive (auto) and have my foot on the brake, the rpm’s are consistent while stopped, if I kick it to neutral the shaking seems to go away quite a bit. does anyone have an idea of what this is?

check your motor mounts.

yeah I did that, one was actually missing for like a month while new ones were on order, I got oem replacments in, I figured that would change it… no go… still doing it

haaha new mounts will just make the shaking worse lol. The shaking is due to rough idling. There are a lot of threads here on that issue.

I was thinking about changing the EGR valve… but the part new is around 400 bucks here lol… and Im dirt broke, anyone have any input on getting a used EGR valve from ebay or something?

just check the lines going to the egr. also check ur timing.

I had the same issue, I have a 91 GS auto that shakes quite a bit, it’s more of a vibrate than shaking during a stop while on “D.”

Believe it or not, a change in muffler cured the problem. My muffler was corroded where the flanges meet and one day it broke off. Replaced the muffler and the vibrating effect disappeared!

[QUOTE=jaylo;2027534]I had the same issue, I have a 91 GS auto that shakes quite a bit, it’s more of a vibrate than shaking during a stop while on “D.”

Believe it or not, a change in muffler cured the problem. My muffler was corroded where the flanges meet and one day it broke off. Replaced the muffler and the vibrating effect disappeared![/QUOTE]

would be nice if that was my problem, but when i got the car I put a new quiet flow muffler on, as well and changed the entire piping :frowning: I’m gonna check out my egr lines as suggested, I don’t currentlly have posesion of my car lol, its at a shop for a collision

if you’re looking for cheap and easy solutions i would suggest starting with:

check/replace air filter
clean throttle body and the plate with brake clean, a tooth brush and a rag
bump up your idle using the idle screw so it’s at a smoother rpm
make sure every vacuum line is hooked up, not kinked, dried out/broken or missing

all of these will contribute to rough idle and it’s something you can easily do yourself… odds are they haven’t been done for a while (if at all)… cleaning the throttle body can have a great effect on improving idle since the clearance is so small, when you clean the junk it’ll allow proper passage of air for a smoother idle… just something to start on, not something that’s 100% guaranteed to fix your problem…

[QUOTE=Burfy;2027799]if you’re looking for cheap and easy solutions i would suggest starting with:

check/replace air filter
clean throttle body and the plate with brake clean, a tooth brush and a rag
bump up your idle using the idle screw so it’s at a smoother rpm
make sure every vacuum line is hooked up, not kinked, dried out/broken or missing

all of these will contribute to rough idle and it’s something you can easily do yourself… odds are they haven’t been done for a while (if at all)… cleaning the throttle body can have a great effect on improving idle since the clearance is so small, when you clean the junk it’ll allow proper passage of air for a smoother idle… just something to start on, not something that’s 100% guaranteed to fix your problem…[/QUOTE]

I just recharged my filter, 3 months ago ish, I did the throttle body cleaning, I haven’t touched my idle screw since I changed my alternator (it was way up from the previous owner and went nuts when I changed it)… I can’t seem to find a leak in my vacuum lines… which I figured would be my problem… Im gonna sea-foam er’ soon as I get it back and see if that helps! also gonna do/get the timing belt done, depending on how much time I have in the future lol.

TB cleaning… too many ppl do that, or do it wrong and then cause issues. my friend was doing that to his civic this week… and after he started having a rough ass idle, probably cuz he got some crap into the iacv or whatever.

I guess I’ll take the iacv again and reclean it and shit like that, the problem was still there after I cleaned it though, worth another try.