Starter problem

Yes I know a lot of people have starter problems and I have read the sticky’s. Here is my problem

91 integra 4 door
Bought off a friend cause he didn’t have time to work on it. Was smoking really bad but running. Befor he did whatever he did to it (no idea)

Pulled the replaced the head gasket re gapped the valves and everything. Go to start it and hear the fuel pump put the key to start and the click under the dask is heard but nothing on the starter. Voltage was getting there only measured at 7.6 volts (battery was at 10 volts) pull the starter thinking it could be that took it down to napa tested just fine.

Any ideas? Checked fuses found 1 40 amp blown in engine bay replaced it. Thinking it could be clutch safety but I can hear the click under the dash. I am at a loss might just be cause i’m tired but I cant figure it out. I am 99% sure I got all the wires hooked back up from when i pulled the head. I checked around the bay and didn’t see any but I could have missed one.

Thank you for the help in advance

Maybe the battery?

Try a push start.

can’t push start right now 2 flat tires

so the starter actually clicks? clicks rapidly or just one? or nothing? if it clicks repeatedly, it may be that you need another battery or that it is stuck. if it is stuck, smack it with something, lol. if it only clicks once, it is probably a ground. look at the thermostat ground or tranny ground. if there is no click at all, make sure that the spade connector at the starter is connected or not broken. i had one break on me before… i tried turning the car on and absolutely nothing would happen. good luck!

I hear a click inside the car in the dash and then at the actual starter I can’t tell but I don’t think it’s clicking. How much voltage should the spade connector put out when you put the switch to start?

i have no idea. i would assume that it should get 12 volts. you might want to ask the moderators to move this to electrical or make another thread there linking to this one to see if anyone knows any better on there. i’m not being much help, lol

had this problem. battery metered at 12.5. spade connector at starter was only getting like high 11’s with the key in start position. put in my own relay by the starter and NEVER had this problem again.

Gil anyhelp is good thanks for the advice. Mods if you want to move this you can I wasn’t sure which section to put it in.

KF so you think it’s the starter relay? Could I try to by pass it to see if it is by simply wiring my own spade connector in and them momentarily tap it to the positive on the battery?

yeah, just make sure it is not in gear, lol. i know a half of a volt is not a lot, but i guess that the starter is picky like that. i actually ended up using the existing spade connector to trigger the relay, i just had the power source for the relay coming directly from the battery. it was as if the starter NEEDED AT LEAST 12 volts to engage.

I wouldnt bypass the starter relay, just pull it and make sure it clicks when power is aplied to the proper prongs.

When you switched the H/G di you unhook the wire harness. I would check that the 2 prong harness in front of the pass side shock tower(yel/blk & blk/yel) is complety pluged in and clicks into place

Yes I disconnected the harness I will double check that thanks