thermostat??

Ok I just replaced my thermostat today. I started it up and checked for leaks. I drove it about 20 feet and then reversed it that same 20 feet. The temp gauge then shot up to almost high. How can this be, when it was only running for only 10 mins? Before I replaced it, the gauge would get to mid range and be fine. Also after I shut it down, and opened the hood I heard the thermostat pop. weird.

Did you refill the rad.? Did you bleed the system before you moved the car? Are you sure you installed the thermostat with the spring facing the engine?( not that I doubt your skills) You never know, sounds like there was air in the system. I usually run the car until it warms up with the rad. cap off. Then I let it overflow a little until I am sure there are no bubbles.
best of luck

You need to make sure that you did everything correctly, something is not right, and it could be somthing as simple as not bleeding it, but that shouldnt cause it to overheat that severly, the only thing I have seen air in a cooling system do is screw up the idle…

You may have the thermo reversed like was said above.

No do not have it reversed, not that blond haha. I did not bleed it though, so will see if that works. Still can air cause it to read that high? I mean I have replaced theromstat’s before and never had this happened. Will try and bleed it and hope that works thanks.

I guess if the bubble were to get over the sensor the air would heat up much faster than the water and give the illusion to the sensor that it was hotter than it was…try bleeding it.

Ok I just got done bleeding it and it work out fine. Thanks for all the help guys!

Can someone point out where the thermostat is on a 1993 integra LS?

It would be great if someone could point me out to a pic or diagram.