Just installed new distributor, won't rev! Help!

I just installed a new distributor (reman) since the bearing went bad on the OEM one. Car started up just fine, wamed up fine, when I tried to rev it, the RPMs just dropped and the car almost died. It will start up and idle fine, anytime I step on the gas, it drops and won’t rev. It ran fine with the old distributor, it was a really simple swap.

I’m thinking:

1. Loose connections on the remanufactured NAPA distributor (is NAPA a POS?)
  2. Bad coil on the remanufactured distributor
  3. Should I return it and buy an expensive OEM one (my oem one is pretty old anyway)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What’s your timing?

:werd:

Also, double and triple-check your spark plug wires. I know it sounds silly, but somehow when I replaced my distributor, I managed to get the wires wrong, and couldn’t figure out why my car was running like absolute shit. I figured it out quickly, and luckily I didn’t break anything.

Definitely check timing and plug wire accuracy.

I set the timing to the factory setting, no go. I even advanced/retarded it and it was the same, revs drop when stepping on the gas.

I also have new OEM plug wires, I didn’t unplug any of the wires, took the whole cap off with the wires attached and checked all connections. It could just be a bad reman part…I’m gonna return it for another one and see if it changes anything.

Wanna know something funny. I had that same problem on my old dist. it was the cp and rotor. I changed the old dist to a new one the problem was solved. Just for kicks see if you can take it back and get another one :shrug:

Ground

I’ll check the ground and all the connections again tonight. The cap/rotor is fairly new OEM, thanks for all the input…