Engine shutting off.. need help have searched

Hi guys,

I have a 1991 rs 4 door auto. I had a little trouble starting the other day, the engine would start but soon as I let go of the key the engine stopped, I figured it was just because it was freezing outside, as I’ve had it happen before in freezing temps. So I give it some gas as I start it and everything is fine.

Today after work, I started the car and let it idle to warm up. so about 10 mins pass, I come back to the car to pull out. Soon as I put it into reverse, the engine shuts off. Then tonight when I went to start the car everything seems normal, the engine is turning, soon as I let the key go, the engine stops. I start trying to get it going, giving it gas at the same time im turning the key, and finally I get it runnning (after like 7 tries). I can see the RPM’s go up, but it just dies (when trying to start it)

I stop off at a friends, and its in the back of my mind constantly, I keep thinking something is wrong. I fear it wont start when I leave, but it starts like normal 1st try. Soon as I put it in reverse the engine stops. THen when I try to start it, same problems as before (having to give it gas, bout 5 times I tried). Engine just keeps turning off as soon as I get it into reverse. I had to put it in neutral, start it, let it coast off the driveway and drive home. AFter driving I get home and stop. I put it into reverse, everything is fine. ALso the temperature today is not cold (least by our standards maybe only negative 2 celcius)

I did have the o2 sensor and the fuel filter changed about 2 months ago (us thanksgiving weekend) ago, but there was no problems till now.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Its only in reverse it shuts off, or in park I have problems with it starting.

A secondary question here :slight_smile:

I also have a second problem. Around 3 months ago, I got in my car, and I hear a weird hissing, like pressure escaping from somewhere. I didnt see anything, or smell anything. Since then my gas has gone down from roughly 375 to 400 km a tank, to 300 if im lucky. Any ideas what could cause this? Keeping in mind I already changed the fuel filter and o2 Sensor.

Any help is much much much appreciated. And yes I did searches :slight_smile:

are any of your dash lights on? do they all work? when you first turn your car on the oil, check engine, abs, battery, etc lights should all come on for a few seconds. lemme know.

I’m not too familiar with the auto’s - but isn’t there a solenoid for the shifting? Just a thought - I’m not gong to go in depth on thinking because I’m not sure if it’s really there or not.

yeah, all the regular lights come on for a few seconds.

:bump:

I have a 91 LS and I had the same problem early last year. I would turn the key, the engine would start for a split second, and then the engine would just die. Sometimes it would start, but 9 times out of 10 it would die.

The problem was my ignition. I had my ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs replaced. It now drives like a champ.

Take you care to Pep Boys and it’ll cost you about 150 bucks. Take care of it right now, or your car can just die on the street and that’s pretty scary.

Good luck!

well i reset my ecu and havent had the problem since, also the weather hasnt been that cold. So I dont think its the igniter.

Well, now I’m the one having this problem. I had my coil replaced I think in 1999. Time for a new one already? Again it’s only happened when it’s been “colder” here (meaning below 60 in the morning). Although this didn’t happen when it was in the 30’s here during winter. It doesn’t shut off when changing gears though.

I was about to create a new thread until I came up with this one. Its very similiar to mine. My car would just stall imediately. To make it start without stalling, I would have to step on the pedal and rev it high to avoid stalling. After a few high revs, the car idles normal and never stalls after that. Seems like something is on its way out.

I’ve read a few threads on this and the majority answers are the distributor cap and rotor and possibly the internal ignitor. I personally was looking in more of vacuum lines. but I’ll check those first.

Neil- did you replace the distributor yet? Can you update on this please. Also for the OP can give an update on this as well?

this thread is from 04-05…lol im sure he fixed the problem by now

[QUOTE=MethodMan;1009094]Hi guys,

I have a 1991 rs 4 door auto. I had a little trouble starting the other day, the engine would start but soon as I let go of the key the engine stopped,

Any help is much much much appreciated. And yes I did searches :)[/QUOTE]

For those who search this in the future, this praticular problem is the Ignition switch. The metal contacts inside the switch is dirty. Clean them off. Heres a DIY on how:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=15&TopicID=276873&ThreadPage=1