Throttle stick wideopen on high rpm shift?

Well, on Saturday a couple friends and I went up into the hills for some fun - anyone in GA who has run the state route 60 from Blairsville to Dahlonega knows what I mean, heh.

On the way back to the house after stopping and eating, I went to pass some slower traffic. I shift into 4th gear no problems. I was at about 5500rpm - this is a b16a tranny, so it revves high real quick - I put the clutch in and the tach all the sudden is bouncing off the rev limiter, and my foot was completely off the gas pedal. WTF?!?! I put my foot back on the gas pedal, but realize it is just sitting on the floor, not up like on a closed throttle between shifts. At this point, I’m out of gear and the gas pedal is on the floor, so I turn the key to off, wait half a sec, turn it back on, and the throttle unstuck, and I was able to complete my shift. The above happened in about 8 secs.

Any ideas? Anyone ever experience this? This is not the first time this has happened; I have had this same thing happen before when entering traffic on the freeway, when shifting from 4th to 5th gear at a high rpm. The occurence is real random though, so I can’t point with any certainty to a problem.

Is the throttle cable sticking? Is the throttle cable screwed? I checked and nothing appears to be blocking the pedal travel physically. Could the throttle itself be sticking in the throttle body? Anything else I can check?

Thanks.

It’s possible that the throttle is getting stuck because of build up in the TB.

ooohhh scary. i want to swap out my ecu now because it has no rev limiter. :down:
yea just check your cable and if nothing is kinked or getting caught, then its probably build up of carbon in your TB. check that little spring on the throttle plate too.
HTH good luck

wait do you have aftermarket pedals??? when i first put my pedals on, the screws on the back would get caught in the carpet sometimes and the clutch would stick to the floor. i’d just tap it with my foot a few times and it would unstick itself and pop up causing me to ‘skeert’.

oops.
Forgot about that part. That happened to me once and I cut the screws down so that they are almost flush with the nut.

yea mine doesn’t get stuck anymore. after a year or so of mashing the pedal to the floor, it kind of made little holes in the carpet and never got stuck again. it was only sticky like velcro for like a week

i’d like to hear more about this. i live in cartersville so how far away is that? i love these crazy georgia roads. couldn’t do this stuff in the bay area

wait do you have aftermarket pedals??? when i first put my pedals on, the screws on the back would get caught in the carpet sometimes and the clutch would stick to the floor. i’d just tap it with my foot a few times and it would unstick itself and pop up causing me to ‘skeert’.

Only clutch and brake - previous owner took the gas pedal off, and I never bothered to put it back on, looks fugly. I also don’t have any carpet, so nothing to stick to, heh.

ooohhh scary. i want to swap out my ecu now because it has no rev limiter.

Yeah, it saved my butt a few times now. I won’t have an ECU w/o a rev limiter; I really don’t understand why people take them out completely - it is a good dafety net to have, just move it up the band some if needed.

It’s possible that the throttle is getting stuck because of build up in the TB.

Yeah, I’m kinda leaning toward this issue, or the cable itself maybe getting caught. I’m more inclined to think stuck spring on the TB b/c of when it happens.

Good pointer, I’ll check it as well this weekend.

i’d like to hear more about this. i live in cartersville so how far away is that? i love these crazy georgia roads. couldn’t do this stuff in the bay area

Observe:

Basicly I took Helen to 180, 180 to 129/19, 129/19 to 76, 76 to Morgantown/60, and 60 to Dahlonega (off the bottom of the map). That stretch from Morgantown to Dahlonega has a big yellow sign at the start that roughly read “Steep grades and curves next 33 miles.” Good sign to have :up:

Thanks for the pointers everyone - I’ll check stuff this weekend.

g2sleeperstyle: You are about 90 miles from Blairsville, but maybe 65 miles from Morgantown. I live in Woodstock most the time, so if you wanna go some time, give me a PM w/ your number.

Get some seafoam, a turkey baster and a toothbrush and clean out the TB, thats how I cleaned mine anyways lol. It had carbon build up on it that wasnt letting the plate close all the way so it idled higher than it should have…Cleaning it fixed the problem.

Also check the cable for anywhere that its getting caught…

Good reaction on turning the key off though :wink: I have only come close to hittin my rev limiter once when I missed 2nd gear trying to own a Lancer lol.