o2 sensor questions, urgent

can I just splice o2 sensor wires and it work the way it should. All I need is a yes or no answer. I was told buy a guy at autozone that o2 sensors use special wires and I need a special tool to connect the wires. I just need to know. Thanks for your help.

are you putting a new sensor on or just trying to hook up an a/f guage?

answer is no…the reading on an o2 sensor varies by less than 1 volt, so it is very sensitive. not to say that it wont work…i used a bosch universal when replacing the one on my civic. but everything i have heard says spend the extra time/money to locate one that has an uncut harness.

well even though mine is -1year, it is shot due to fuel system cleaner, and additives, 106 octain jet fuel like twice, and a shitload of silicone that states clearly on the back to let cure before using motor.

My car has a surging idle, and gets 15 mpg. If I solder the connection, would it be safe?

I extended my new o2 sensor wire. I just used the old o2 sensor I was taking out and cut that wire to use to extend my new one. Get what I’m saying? Worked fine for about 1 month. Now I just threw an o2 code about 20 min. ago out of nowhere. So I guess the answer is no.

Well, How would I go about doing this. I really am tight on bills, I have no job, since it’s the holidays. And gas milage it better in my stepdads Dodge Ram V-10. I have searched the net and have came up with nothing on connecting o2 sensor wires.

I feel you on gas mileage bro, I’m only getting 21.3 mpg max…Anyway, just take your old o2 sensor, cut it right at the sensor, then cut it right at the plug. That way you have the whole o2 wire. Then I just twisted it together really good and snugg and used heat shrink. I was told not to butt connect. I’ve heard it’s good to solder the connection, but I’ve also heard not to solder an o2 wire so I don’t really know. I just twisted and used heat shrink. HTH
Chris

I am not sure I follow you. I hove the bosch o2 sensor and It is the universial deal. It has a 3ft cable, so I trim it to fit. then I cut the old plug and splice it together with heat shrink
?

oh, i have a bosche direct fit. The only reason I needed to extend mine is b/c I have an obd 0 wiring harness with a 92-93 exhaust so the o2 is near the cat. I don’t know what to tell you about that. But obviously just cutting and splicing doesn’t work

my DC header relocated my O2 to the back near the cat like 92-93 style and they gave an extension wire with it… iono but to me the wire doesnt look any more special than regular copper wire

Get the one that will plug into your harness, unless you sand both wires and solder it really good, the amount of voltage going through there is very small, so the connection is critical. Check it with an ohmmeter after your done if you slice the wires and get it to as little of resistance as possible on either side of the connection. But I know its more for the one with the harness, i think over double, I got the one with the harness and after I did so reading into it I was much better off doing so.

Well, I guess I will just have to drive back to advance and trade it for one with directions in the box.

there are a few good reasons why you shouldnt cut and splice wires.

1. the low voltage.
  2. the wires are aluminum not copper so they dont take solder very well.

you can get away with it and this has been debated on here before and some people swear by the cobble jobs. But honestly if you care about your car and you dont want to “just get by” then try not to splice your o2

okay, I guess I did it right. I have a butt load more power at 3000-5000 rpms, and feels about the same where not in between 3k-5k. The issue is, I still have a surging ide after it is warmed up. Could this be the Ivac (or whatever it’s called)? Any suggetions are welcome.