VSS troubleshooting?

The other day I was driving home and all of a sudden the the speed dropped to zero and the odometer and trip meter stopped working, about a minute later the CEL light came on. From searches here I have been able to confirm this seems to be a common problem and will cause a CEL which makes me feel a bit better. But I wasn’t rell able to find anything on how to trouble shoot this. I am sure it is throwing a 17 fault because I have reset the ECU and the CEl doesn’t come on until I drive for about a 1/4 mile. So is there a way to troubleshoot this to figure out which is bad (cable, cluster or sensor)? I just don’t want to spend to much money right now if I can help it, I just replaced the rear brakes this morning and I noticed a coolant leak! I guess I can’t complain I really haven’t had to do much and it has 210K miles. Your help is appreciated.

did you actually check the cel code or just assuming its a code 17?

Just assuming, seems to be too much of a coincidence not to be and like I said when I reset it the car idled for about 15 minutes with no CEL, then I drove and it came back on. Unfortunately I don’t have a way to check the code otherwise I would. But When I looked at the code list it doesn’t appear as if I would get any more info by getting the code as it doesn’t narrow it down to the device. I am wrong?

you can’t just assume that since someone else is having similiar problems, yours will be the same. that is why you MUST check the cel code to be sure. and why don’t you have a way to check it? its listed in the teg tips how to check it, plus in previous threads. get the cel code and go from there. getting the code will give you a more direct pathway to the solution. don’t guess on what the problem/solution could be, otherwise you could be spending a lot of money on something that was irrelevant to the problem.

seeing that in your profile, it says you have a 96 integra, where as this message board is catered to g2(90-93). might help if you do have a g2, then to post what year it is in your thread and in your profile. but if your problem is for a g3(94+), then you might want to post on a message board catered to that generation.

Well I wasn’t sure those directions applied since I have a '96 and at first I couldn’t find the green connector. Well I just went back out and someone had tucked it way up alongside the dash. I jumped it out and the code is a 17. Any ideas on how to narrow down what the cause is?

as i have mentioned before, since you do have a 96, i would recommend you post on a message forum that caters to that year.

go to www.team-integra.net and register

then search for “vehicle speed sensor”

from reading the threads over there, its a sensor you have to replace. if you try to problem solve with the solutions from this forum, you will run into trouble since 90-93 integras have a cable driven speedometer with the vss sensor built into the speedometer. 94+ integras are all electronic with the vss sensor located on the tranny. if i remember correctly.

go post on a 94+ integra forum and you will get better luck and answers there. which makes me wonder why you would post a question about a 96 integra on this forum in the first place :shrug: