gears won't engage

So the other day i started to hear a rattle when the clutch was engaged. Couldn’t figure it out so i drove around like this for a couple of weeks. Then yesterday when i started her up and went to pop it into gear it wouldn’t go in. The clutch feels spongy and normal but when i move the gear shift into any gear it wont go in. What could this be? When the car is off and the clutch isn’t engaged the gears go in fine. It’s just when the car is running. Any help would be appreciated. Thnx, Jes

Sounds like your clutch, the rattle could be one of the springs on the actual clutch snapped or broke, probably cause your clutch was worn down and the springs itself started to rub on something

Try this, when the car is off, pop it into gear and start the car, see if the car starts to move foward a little even if your not letting go of the clutch

Because you being able to get it in and out of gear with the car of usually means the clutch has gone bad since you can’t get it in gear with the car actually on

I think your right Sol1d, My friends prelude will not go into gear last week. But before then we would hear this rattle noise sometimes, So we though it is the heatshield or cat. But it was one if the springs rattle inside for the clutch.

Thanks guys, y didn’t i think of that :shrug: . I’ll check it after christmas on sunday and let you guys know. Peace n happy holidays

same thing happend to me, but there was no rattle or anything, but the next day, it seemed fine and ever since, it hasnt happend yet?..weird…
but ah well =) hope u get it worked out… :burnout:

The same thing is actually happening to me…

I’ll have to drop the tranny and change the clutch assembly :frowning:

Note: I adjusted the clutch cable so it grabs higher, and I have been able to use the car for about 30 more kilometers…

I’m anxious to see what exactly is broken, the TO bearing or the PP…

That happened to me on my old 87 teg for me it was the Throwout bearing it was cracked in half. sucks though. hope you get it fixed soon