Throttle hesitation and rpms dropping

Ok heres the problem. The car will start everytime and idle fine. When im driving all of a sudden the rpms will just drop. It feels like someone turned off the car, but it will never stall. The rpms drop to idle and then it will rev back up. And normally after that happens, I will get a throttle hesistation, Where i will press the gas, and it takes 1-2 seconds for the car to start accelerating again. It happens at no certain rpm, in any gear, randomly. At first i thought it might have been the fuel pump, so i had a brand new one sitting here i put in today, with no luck. The fuel filter has been replaced recently. The injectors are brand new, and they were flowed and working correctly. The distributor is brand new, but i am not ruling it out, as it feels like the car just cuts the spark when it happens. I was also thinking it may be the tps sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

check ecu codes

first thing to do is check ecu codes…

if you need help, go to the teg tips section

90-91—ecu itself has a blinking light
92-93—jumper the 2P harness on the passneger side, check engine light blinks

:crazy:

Only 2 codes I have are the speed sensor code because my speedo cable isn’t plugged it, and the electrical load detector. The car is a 1990 converted to obd1 with a 1994 gs ecu

timing is your problem

Explain what you mean. Do you think its just dropping spark? How do you explain the hesitation? And if it is dropping spark why would it be doing that. Im going to change the tps sensor today and see if that helps at all.

it sound like your belt may have jumped a tooth

Belt did not jump a tooth. Cam timing is correct. And even if it did jump a tooth it would run like crap all the time. This happens maybe 10% of the time im driving it. It runs awesome until it starts to do this crap.

join the “fucked up” car club :argh: . mine has a similar problem but mine is fuel related

I had a similar problem, if I hold the rpms at 2.5k it will drop by itself to .3k then back up to 2.5k then back down and is does this constantly. It will only do this when I have my chipped ecu on the car, if I use the stock one it runs fine. Get this, I installed the chipped ecu to see if it still does it and nada car runs fine now. For the longest time I couldnt figure out why it did that and still cant figure out why it runs fine now when before it wouldnt.

Mine didnt do it until last week, it just started happening all of a sudden. The car has hondata s200 system in it, with a wideband, and im not showing any crazy sensor readings when i look at the datalogs. Im 99.9% sure its not fuel related. Im pretty sure its just dropping the timing for some reason or another. although i dont know why that is… im gonna lose my f’ing mind.

Sounds More Like A Fuel Pressure Reg. Check The Pressure At The Injectors.

<-----says igniter or ignition module.or fuel filter

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge today. Fuel pressure is not dropping when it happens. The fuel filter is new, The Fuel pump is new, the regulator is new. The distributor is a brand new distributor from when i converted to obd1. So its about 2 months old. Wires are new and good. Plugs look good, but i replaced them anyway just to be sure. It seems to happen only below a certain throttle point. If i give it full throttle, it will never happen. Only under a very light throttle. It happens at any load, rpm, speed, ect…

When you say the distributor is brand new, what do you mean? Is it brand new oem, remanufactured, etc. Where did you purchase it from? If fuel pressure is not dropping, it may be a problem in your ignition system. Doesn’t the TPS also cause problems like this or are they different?

hey

I’m thinkin the same thing as the guy above me, brand new dizzy is it TEK? and also if that is brand new did you change the rotor, because thats what it sounds like, had a similiar problem, and replaced that, car ran fine
hopefully this helps, good luck.

Yea the distributor is brand new, i bought it off ebay from the distributor king or something. Its not oem, and i didnt change the rotor. Ill try that today. Im grasping here, ill try anything. Oh and i still have to change the tps sensor, has anyone had a tps sensor go bad on them? and if it did, what did it do exactly? thanks

check all of your connections to your ignitor to make sure they are tight. Make sure there are no loose connections anywhere in the distributor. Aftermarket will always give you problems one way or another.

try a new distributor from honda or acura. sounds like tps sensor

im gonna check the connections in the distributor tomorrow, and im supposed to get another tps sensor soon too. So ill let you know how it goes. thanks

Tps sensor. Somehow it was giving a voltage way below what it should be at idle, so when i would get past a certain point in the throttle it would stop. Its funny cause it never threw a code for the tps sensor or anything.