power steering freezing up

so when i start my car and it is cold out the steering wheel cranks itself allll the way to the left and locks up until the car warms up a little bit and then it releases itself. does anyone know what would be causing that :think:

wow, that’s strange. I’ve never heard of that and it gets COLD here.
I would assume it’s a sticky valve of some sort… Hopefully it doesn’t require replacing the whole valve unit. Seems almost like it would be a problem with the 4-way valve.

There are a few pressure checks and stuff you can do according to the Helms manual, but if you’re not sure what you’re doing, you might just have to take it to be serviced :\

Hey torpus where in iowa u at?

cedar rapids, i was going to check my fluids and shit and make sure nothing is freezing up, i dont know how it could but if water got in their it might be fuckin with it, this is my first winter with the teg, i just got it so i dont know if this is a new problem or not, but its only when its cold enough to need to warm the motor up a minute or 2, its like it gettin thawed out all of a sudden after a few minutes

something is fucked

raise up the car, jack stans, remove the ps/valve unit body cover, and inspect. check ps levels…and most important, let your car warm up. wait 10 minutes at least after start in the cold ass iowa…

has anyone done the manual stearing replacement? is it a pain in the ass, i remember reading a guide somewhere set up so it was still easy to turn at low speeds while keeping the turning ratio the same, just an afterthought im sure it would be alot easier to just fix my powersteering since i dont race or anything but it would still be nice to loose some weight and gain some power

i am doing it

yes…search for it, armed ferret di a good writeup on looping the lines. i have just removed the ps belt, so no pump turning. it is not bad for me to turn, but i have a leak. check out he thread, ps fluid egress (recent) and the thread ps fluid/ starting from a week or so ago…and search. armed ferret did a good MSWord writeup, and go to honda-tech .com. they have a good coupla threads on the subject with pics…